For guys running the Tailgate's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, Does anyone running tailgates have a problem with the glass not closing all the way?

My latch doesn't seem to close all the way all the time. If I slam it, sometimes the latch will catch, and the fit will be snug, rattle and dust free. However sometimes as I'm driving it will pop to a second, less snug position(still closed though, won't open until the button on dash is pushed or keyfob), or more often or not it when closing, it stays at this second less snug position.
I have to use weatherstripping to keep it rattle free, and dust out.

Any one else having this problem?
This question was asked in another thread by another member, but can we somehow adjust the latch for a better fitting glass top?

fyremanpat

Fyremanpat
Reaction score
Yes it can be adjusted. You will need to take off the interior panel. It has like 10-12 screws, there will probably be a clear plastic sheet covering everything. You will need to pull that back to uncover a 8in x 10in black metal panel. After removing that you will see the mounting bolts for the latch. Simply loosen them and slide the latch to the desired position, tighten and put back together... hope this helps

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
I've had mine for almost 5 years now, its 15 years old and I just rolled over 199k yesterday and I have never had it rattle or not shut tight for me. I love my tailgate because there is no obstructed view, and if it ever does do what yours is doing, looks like I know how to adjust it now!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine gives me problems in the winter when it gets damn cold. won't latch, have to "bounce" it a few times then it catches like normal. other than that no problems other than a bit of a rattle when the subs are hittin really hard. :)

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I took my tailgate apart to see what I could do.

I thought that it would be as simple as loosening some bolts, making my adjustments and then tightening things back up. However I'm having a problem.

Even if all of the bolts are out, using a screwdriver, I can only latch up to the snug position 50% of the time, and I can't seem to find out why. I think it's because the release arm is too worn out and loose, and doesn't come back far enough all of the time to allow the latch in all the way to the second stop.

Unless you guys know of a trick, then I think I'm into a new latch mechanism.

I took some pics, so you could see what I did and make some suggestions?

I've used a phillips screwdriver, and 10mm and a 13mm socket.

1) Open the tailgate.
picture.jpg

2) Using the screwdriver, remove the screws holding the plastic on. The screws at the top of the tailgate are lponger than the screws everywhere else. Put these aside. Remove the plastic/fabric cover.
picture.jpg

3) Use the 10mm socket to remove these bolts and put aside. Then remove the black metal plate.
picture.jpg

4) Remove the black rubber dust guard.
picture.jpg

5) You should finally be able to see the Latch mechanism. Outlined in blue is what I think that I have to replace.
picture.jpg

6) While I was in there, I took this oppurtuninty to adjust the tailgate handle to make it easier for me to open.
picture.jpg

For reference, I took photos of the three latch positions.

Open;
picture.jpg

The second, not snug, but at least closed position where I seem to sit at all of the time;
picture.jpg

The fully closed, snug, where you guys all seem to be position;
picture.jpg

Of coarse, I had some helpers who for some reason thought they were going for a truck ride when I opened the back!
picture.jpg

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried spring it with wd40? Sometimes that helps everything move easier and will fix your problem. I have never had your problem but my latch didnt always release when I hit the botton and after I sprayed it worked great.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried spring it with wd40? Sometimes that helps everything move easier and will fix your problem. I have never had your problem but my latch didnt always release when I hit the botton and after I sprayed it worked great.

Thanks for the suggestion. I read this and tried it. It didn't work though.

I had our Old guy Mech look at it, and he wiggled this and moved that. Eventually he came back and said that it was plumb worn out and should be replaced.

Ok, fine. I have no problem replacing old stuff when worn out.
I found this webpage. Good stuff! By looking at the diagram, I determined that I need part #30 on that diagram which translates to Gmc Part# 16638936.

What sucks is that part# has been discontinued! I can't buy a new one! Arggg!

So I live with it, or I take a chance on junkyard stock.
Stupid GM restructuring!

If anyone has a good one for sale???

sleepr

Reaction score
I adjusted my latch assembly but I never noticed a "snug" position, just an open and latched position.

Maybe you need to elongate some of the holes to get more adjustment out of it? I almost had to do that but I did get it.

Where are you located in Ontario? I'm in kitchener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons