Fog light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tagged for later this week! I have about 5 mods stacked up now lol

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, quick, easy, worth it, IMHO. With the 4-hi mod it really helps fill in that last little spot between the lows and the truck.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a cool mod. I would do it if my truck came with fogs from the factory. I have OEM fogs, but I aded them myself, along with my own wiring, switch, and relay harness. I installed a low profile rocker switch in place of the stock foglight switch, and it wired to the ignition for a power source. When switched on, it sends 12v to a relay under the hood which then sends power directly from the battery to my HID ballasts for the foglights. I like how I have it wired to the ignition. I can leave the switch on all the time and they function as DRLs during the day, and fogs at night. Plus I never have to worry about a dead battery if I forget to turn them off because they turn off as soon as I turn the key off. And if I want the fogs off at night, I can flip them off. If I want just the fogs on, I can turn all other lights off and flip the fogs on. Its totally independent from all the other lights.

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a cool mod. I would do it if my truck came with fogs from the factory. I have OEM fogs, but I aded them myself, along with my own wiring, switch, and relay harness. I installed a low profile rocker switch in place of the stock foglight switch, and it wired to the ignition for a power source. When switched on, it sends 12v to a relay under the hood which then sends power directly from the battery to my HID ballasts for the foglights. I like how I have it wired to the ignition. I can leave the switch on all the time and they function as DRLs during the day, and fogs at night. Plus I never have to worry about a dead battery if I forget to turn them off because they turn off as soon as I turn the key off. And if I want the fogs off at night, I can flip them off. If I want just the fogs on, I can turn all other lights off and flip the fogs on. Its totally independent from all the other lights.

DSC01890.jpg

DSC01883.jpg

Nice

txonmymind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Scotty's fog mod

I'm trying to add fogs to my '03 Tahoe LS. I've already got the lights installed up front and have the wiring sitting around because I can't figure out how to tap into the electrical. The wiring kit came with it's own relay and fuse so I just need to know how to hook it all up. Also, how'd you connect the switch in the dash. I've looked at the rear wiper switch and it looks like one piece, did you just pop off the lower piece to add the fog switch in there? What's the power on that switch? I'm looking at picking up a switch from O'Reillys.Sorry if this is a waste of your time, but I've been looking to do this for over a year now. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not Scotty but hereyago.
Here’s a page on wiring relays.
http://www.mp3car.com/the-faq-emporium/117895-faq-relays-how-they-work-and-how-to-wire-it-up.html
-30 = constant [positive (+)] power (usually wired directly to car battery)
-85 = coil ground (wired to the negative (-) battery terminal or any grounded metal panel in the car)
-86 = coil power (wired to the control source. could be a switch, or it could be the car's IGN or ACC circuit.) THIS COMES FROM YOUR SWITCH, YOU WILL NEED TO TAP A 12V SOURCE SOMEWHERE TO SEND POWER TO THE SWITCH, THE SIGNAL FROM THE SWITCH GOES HERE SO WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR SWITCH IT SENDS POWER TO THE RELAY ACTIVATING THE RELAY SO IT SENDS THE 12V FROM THE BATTERY TO YOUR LIGHS.
-87 = switched [positive (+)] power output. (when the relay coil is powered, lead/pin 87 is connected to lead/pin 30) THIS IS THE ONE LEADING TO YOUR LIGHTS
-87a = [on 5 lead/pin relays only] this lead/pin is connected to lead/pin 30 when the coil is NOT powered. (NOT USED)

Google SPDT automotive relay and you’ll find plenty

I'm pretty much a noob but if you need more help than this hit me back and I'm sure between the two of us we can figure things out

txonmymind

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for info. The wiring I kit bought was fully self contained: light connections, relay, fuse, power and ground wires, and switch. I've got the lights hooked up, the wiring in place, the relay and ground wire attached, and I bought a new low profile rocker switch. The "instructions" that came with the wiring say to hook the power wire directly to the battery; the fuse is in-line on the power wire to the relay. That seems pretty simple to me, but the butt connector at the end isn't big enough to fit on the battery terminal, if I go that route I'll just buy a bigger connection and swap them out. The biggest obstacle left is actually running the wires for the switch into the cab, and placing the new switch with the existing rear-wiper switch. I looked and I think I could probably just dremel a hole for the new switch and it will clip in just fine, leaving me to connect the wiring, which I haven't run into the cab yet. Any ideas for accomplishing these last two feats?

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll need to come off the positive batter terminal to the relay to power the lights, you’ll need to find a 12 volt source inside the cab to tap to go to the switch. I used a dremel to cut out the holes for my rocker switches. To get the wire into the cab from battery get a thin metal coat hanger, straighten it out, make an oval loop on one end mashing it as flat as you can while still being able to get a wire through the hole. Be sure the end that you have bent back to make the loop is as flush with the long wire as you can get it. Now find where the wires go through your firewall, it will likely be through a rubber boot of some kind. Push the loop through into the cab from the engine compartment side, thread the wire that will power the lights through the loop in the coat hanger, and pull it back through the boot into the engine compartment. Now route it around to your positive battery terminal and zip tie it in place several places.\

Make sense/cover your questions?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man withac, you have a ton of good info! Thanks for taking the time to explain it all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn