Flush transmission mileage ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fr8bil

Reaction score
And then what about the large volume of used/old Tranny fluid left behind in the Torque Converter ? All you're accomplishing is mixing old with new.
Find a reputable shop using one of the "BG" machines that has two " aquariums" mounted on it so the tech can see when the old is completely flushed ( including the contents of the Torque Converter this time ) and only new fluid is exiting into the old/used side of the aquarium. Before that, have them drop the pan and change out your filter. Cheap Insurance for extending clutch life in your Tranny and putting-off the inevitable re-build for a longer time.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then what about the large volume of used/old Tranny fluid left behind in the Torque Converter ? All you're accomplishing is mixing old with new.
Right I’m aware of the torque converter fluid etc
After driving around for a bit and then doing the same pump and refill again. Then driving around and pump and refill then it’s essentially all new fluid..

Reaction score
Trans has its own pump, so after changing out the fluid in the pan, disconnect the upper trans line going into the passenger side of radiator. Stick a piece of hose into the fitting (or buy the nipple adapter for a couple bucks) and place the other end into a bucket. Start engine and shut it off right when the fluid coming out of the hose starts to sputter. Add 3-4 qts of fluid to the pan via the dipstick tube and repeat. Do this about 3-4 times, or until the fluid coming out of the hose is clean, new cherry red fluid. Put trans line back into radiator, drive around block and check fluid level, top off as needed.

The trans holds a total of about 12.5 qts of fluid. About 6 in the pan and the rest in the converter. Doing the procedure above using 13-14 qts of fluid will replace/exchange all fluid in the system.

Last edited:

Jonmurphy

Reaction score
It's really easy to do yourself.
What I've done is use a harbor freight hand pump with a tube down the trans fill tube to pump out whats in the pan.
Then, just crawl underneath and unbolt the pan. Then slap in a new filter, bolt the pan back on, and fill it back up.
(The pan doesn't come off completely, but enough that you can pop the filter out and pop a new one in).
Sucking out fluid is Totally unnecessary You put a pan under the transplant and take out the bolt slowly As the tips slowly the fluid comes out into your drain pan what's so hard about that I don't understand why anybody would want to do it any differently. Exception, Removing the cooler line is a better way Let it pump itself out add a little fluid My pump through again tell you to get clean oil It doesn't cost that much And you should put a Oil filters in this line how to use them in Parallel not series Seriously 1 after the other you put them in parallel Transmission probably last 2 times longer I've been doing this for 25 + years.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a reputable shop that does tunes as well as repairs and the replaced a piston and other goodies in our 2016 Malibu turbo last year. So $285 is a deal I would say. I would rather know who's touching my baby!

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the helpful tips if I was to DIY

Reaction score
I found a reputable shop that does tunes as well as repairs and the replaced a piston and other goodies in our 2016 Malibu turbo last year. So $285 is a deal I would say. I would rather know who's touching my baby!
That's a great price if it includes all the fluid and also changing the filter.

12 qts of fluid is going to run about $80-$100 and the filter about $20.

Not having to get under the vehicle and mess with dropping the pan and the cleanup afterwards is priceless, lol.

If that price is just for a fluid exchange and no filter, not such a good deal

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great price if it includes all the fluid and also changing the filter.

12 qts of fluid is going to run about $80-$100 and the filter about $20.

Not having to get under the vehicle and mess with dropping the pan and the cleanup afterwards is priceless, lol.

If that price is just for a fluid exchange and no filter, not such a good deal
That’s the price for it all including new filter.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be a freak situation but I’ve owned my 2019 since new and I am now at 69,800 miles and I haven’t touched the transmission fluid whatsoever. The only thing I have is a black bear transmission tune in it. And my truck is definitely not driven gently and it does occasionally tow a few times a year at least 7000 pounds.
It’s still shifts smoothly, quickly and the temperature still stays where it needs to be even without the pill flip. each situation is different. If I were to do the service I would stick with the severe service interval.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM