Finally upgraded my brakes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know the actual miles on mine when I replaced them, they were on there when I bought the truck last year but the fronts werent even halfway worn and it took twice the distance to stop whenever it wet out.

Noto81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what does the color have to do with anything? I notice the yellow is front, green is rear according to the ebay auctions. But then somebody posts that he has yellow on all 4 corners.....and the original post put the greens on the front.

OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the yellow is a more aggressive pad than the green. I just linked what I had saved at the time thats all. I would say its more of a personal preference unless your driving habits need a much more aggressive pad. I only upgraded my fronts so far and went with the green ones. I thought at the time the yellow would be too much but having read the other post, I will probably end up upgrading to yellow when the time comes around again or maybe for the rears.

OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got the rears done...

When I bought my used truck the prev owner said it had new brakes all around and judging by all the work orders for stuff and how clean and obviously maintained it was, I didnt think otherwise. Well this ****** would barely stop whenever the wheels got wet so I decided to take a better look at the brakes to figure out wtf was wrong.

I think something was wrong with this caliper/rotor. The pad was ground down flat on just 1 pad:rolf
IMG_0142_001.sized.jpg

This side was missing a pad and the piston(what was left of it) was stuck grinding on the rotor. That fragment was what was left of the back plate/disc cover.:wow
IMG_0136.sized.jpg

Besides the fact that the calipers bolts had to be cut away from the brackets, pistons were seized/blown out, bleeder screws were rounded/broke, and brake hoses were rusted and leaking somehow I dont think the brakes were ever done.:rolf and judging by how much this shit cost, I can see why:( anyways, finally done and next time I just might dissect the ******* thing in the driveway before I buy it!:rolf:goof

So how do these pads compare to OEM pads and the break dust?

so far less dust than stock from what I have seen.

cam3439

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rears kinda looked like that, and it turned out that the guy that I bought the truck from just put the pads on without turning the rotors. I don't know if the rotors were originals, but they had the GM stamp on them and I had about 150k on the odometer. They were pretty rusted and were eating the pads like crazy. The outside portion of the rotors looked normal, but the inside looked just like yours. So, I put some stockers and a little later the yellowstuff. The brake dust for me is a little more than ceramics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yooformula

yooformula

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this truck has 185k and it wouldnt surprise me if they were still stockers. I too used the yellowstuff pads for the new setup but with stainless brake lines and new oem rotors/calipers.

pacman22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this an old post, but thought the question fit here.

Should the inner pad on front or rear, move freely along the new installed hardware? I had to pound them out, and after new hardware, pound them in. Seems to me the pad should move freely but not be loose.. any suggestions??

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19