Faulty Lifters took out my Escalade 2021 - 2 Trucks Down and Need advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colinel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice here. I have had a ton of miserable experiences with the new platform. I had purchased a Yukon Denali 2021 that was lemoned in Colorado after 4k miles for not starting and stranding my family and I 4 times. You can read about my experiences in this thread if you are up for a horror story.

After that experience, I ended up getting an Escalade ESV Sport as the replacement vehicle. No Yukon Denali's at the time because of the ongoing chip shortage. After 13000 miles, last week I went outside and heard the very audible ticking noise coming from the engine (left side driver to be exact). I had known about the TSB regarding the faulty lifters for builds between Sept 2020 and Mar 2021. Well after 2 days I was able to get into the dealership and it's the lifter issue with whatever damage has been done.

So I was lucky that I made it to the dealership but here I am again without my truck, almost stranded (I know what happens if you don't get it in fast), and the service center is telling me they don't know how long it's going to be because they can't get the head gasket because of lack parts.

My questions are this:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations to contact a district manager, gm corporate or anybody?
2. After two major issues with this new platform, I am seriously contemplating suing. I know under most circumstances that is just stupid angry people talking but these are serious issues and I have had two of them. Stranded, lemoned vehicle and now an engine rebuild and 13k miles
3. Even if they fix the lifters what else am I looking at? Should I just dump the truck? The sales guy that sold me the rig said he would trade me out but you can't get Escalades right now so I am still screwed

Anyway, thanks for the rant and hope others have some advice even if not the same experiences.

Matt
Cut your losses asap and get a diesel. I had a 2021 Tahoe with lifter disaster, moved to a 2021 Suburban diesel and never looked back. Zero % chance I would waste the mental energy suing and zero % chance I would cross my fingers that the lifters are reliable. I’d move on it asap as every day this issue will be more and more mainstream. I sold my 65k tahoe for 67k with 10k miles (dealership proceeded to list it for 89k!!) but I was thrilled to get out of it and start fresh with a diesel.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut your losses asap and get a diesel. I had a 2021 Tahoe with lifter disaster, moved to a 2021 Suburban diesel and never looked back. Zero % chance I would waste the mental energy suing and zero % chance I would cross my fingers that the lifters are reliable. I’d move on it asap as every day this issue will be more and more mainstream. I sold my 65k tahoe for 67k with 10k miles (dealership proceeded to list it for 89k!!) but I was thrilled to get out of it and start fresh with a diesel.
Now they are saying there will be diesel shortages..... https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gas-prices-may-bad-now-184039147.html

KitchenMaven

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice here. I have had a ton of miserable experiences with the new platform. I had purchased a Yukon Denali 2021 that was lemoned in Colorado after 4k miles for not starting and stranding my family and I 4 times. You can read about my experiences in this thread if you are up for a horror story.

After that experience, I ended up getting an Escalade ESV Sport as the replacement vehicle. No Yukon Denali's at the time because of the ongoing chip shortage. After 13000 miles, last week I went outside and heard the very audible ticking noise coming from the engine (left side driver to be exact). I had known about the TSB regarding the faulty lifters for builds between Sept 2020 and Mar 2021. Well after 2 days I was able to get into the dealership and it's the lifter issue with whatever damage has been done.

So I was lucky that I made it to the dealership but here I am again without my truck, almost stranded (I know what happens if you don't get it in fast), and the service center is telling me they don't know how long it's going to be because they can't get the head gasket because of lack parts.

My questions are this:

1. Does anybody have any recommendations to contact a district manager, gm corporate or anybody?
2. After two major issues with this new platform, I am seriously contemplating suing. I know under most circumstances that is just stupid angry people talking but these are serious issues and I have had two of them. Stranded, lemoned vehicle and now an engine rebuild and 13k miles
3. Even if they fix the lifters what else am I looking at? Should I just dump the truck? The sales guy that sold me the rig said he would trade me out but you can't get Escalades right now so I am still screwed

Anyway, thanks for the rant and hope others have some advice even if not the same experiences.

Matt
So many people have had this issue, including me in my 2021 Yukon Denali. I hired the lemon law people and now they're working on it. Makes me sick that such a beautiful and luxurious vehicle, with a huge cargo area!, is failing so early. Mine failed at 26,000 miles and they changed the lifters twice, changed the CAM twice, and then disassembled the heads and took them to the machine shop to have the lifter spring and rod drilled out... Now it makes a different sound AND it's now out of alignment... I stopped driving it (only in emergencies/short trips = 1 x a month) until they tell me I can turn it back in and get all of my $$ back.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks. Yeah I just joined the lifter club too. They’re only replacing one bank, so I’m sure I’ll be back into the shop at some point again.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Hate to say it but I’m reposting on my original thread. I was driving along and I have started to feel like the engine is skipping or a misfire. No lights. Comes and goes sporadically but I’m sure the issue is with these damn lifters again. I’m about to drive it to the nearest place that will take it and dump it.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A recession is the only hope for these things. As it stands people are waiting in line to buy them up no matter what woes await them. Quality doesn't matter. I'm beginning to believe the best way to shop for a vehicle is to start at the service center.

suterusu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If GM is giving loaners/covering rentals, just keep driving it and order/find a diesel Denali or Escalade. Everyone is making money on trading up with the values on these things.

OP
OP
M

maddocmatt

Reaction score
Well I felt I should update because it’s not lifters. The misfiring never caused a code but it came and went and it was getting worse. On random chance, I looked under the hood while the engine was shaking, I noticed that there was a cable that was running across the front odd the engine where the clips had been broken. I lifted the cable up and the misfire stopped. Dropped it and it came back. So I zipped tied the cable into place and it did make it better. The cable plugs into the fuel injector throttle control body. My guess is when they did the repair, the cable was pulled too hard and a wire got loose. And the clips snapped and now it’s making bad contact. Still need to take it in.

Attachments

• 355A7621-2B44-4A43-A10B-108FBB47E5DE.jpeg
    355A7621-2B44-4A43-A10B-108FBB47E5DE.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 8

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If GM is giving loaners/covering rentals, just keep driving it and order/find a diesel Denali or Escalade. Everyone is making money on trading up with the values on these things.
at lest tell banks wake up and stop loaning on them then the bottom falls out

This will also happen to electric cars once passed 5-8yo ( except California which has a 15 years warranty starting in 2026 model year bidens 2021/2030 agenda) too the banks are still sleeping right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700