Fan shroud for electric fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably a stupid question here, but i'll ask anyway. would having the back of the radiator sealed off except for where the fans are impede air flow with the fans off? like affecting air flow while driving to the point that the fans would have to be running full time? or am i way off there? i know that's effectively what you have with the shroud in our trucks now with the clutch fan, but the clutch fan runs full time anyway. not trying to stir the pot or anything, was just curious.

If you look at most stock electric fan shrouds they do have one small spot to relieve air pressure from building up in front of the radiator. it is usually deflected down under the car or truck. That is a good question because at highway speeds you don't want a fan running at slow speed restricting air flow and causing strain on the electric motor. energized electric motors don't free spin most of the time, and some non energized electric motor wont free spin either. Most electric fan motors will free spin, but I wouldn't say with any certainty that all will with out researching the motor it's self.

OP
OP
N

nikel

Reaction score
Work, then the lack of work got in the way. I have fans, just need to get in touch with my metal fab guy to see if he can still make some the these. I don't have a brake so I can't bend them myself.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

If you look at most stock electric fan shrouds they do have one small spot to relieve air pressure from building up in front of the radiator. it is usually deflected down under the car or truck. That is a good question because at highway speeds you don't want a fan running at slow speed restricting air flow and causing strain on the electric motor. energized electric motors don't free spin most of the time, and some non energized electric motor wont free spin either. Most electric fan motors will free spin, but I wouldn't say with any certainty that all will with out researching the motor it's self.

this is a good point. My fans are pretty big, just air holes could be added to the bottom of the shroud quite easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr