Electric fan cooling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common wisdom is that eFans do not cool as well as clutch fans. Less common is that eFans don't cool as well as clutch fans when you need them the most: under load. Ultimately, it depends on how you set your fans up. If memory serves, the fastest you can power a clutch fan is when you are at or near your red line, or 6500 RPM (in most cases). However, clutch fans do not cool as well under light load (like stop and go traffic in busy cities). So if you tune your eFans to cool as you need in the conditions you drive, you should be just fine.

The things switching to eFans gets you are more room in the engine compartment, maybe .5 mpg (depending on how heavy your foot already is), and maybe 1 HP or similar.

Electric Fan vs Clutch Fan Dyno: Which Is Better?

Electric fan vs Clutch fan?

What type of cooling fan should I use?

Fan clutch vs electric fan

Electrical or fan clutch

@OR VietVet I searched engine & drive train and Performance sections, and didn't really see any comparison stuff. Would you mind taking a look?
The statement about efans not cooling as well during driving such as stop and go traffic in cities, baffles me. I idled basically 13 miles last 4th of July in 108 degree heat from mesquite Arizona up though little field on my way to Utah, as the virgin river gorge was left down to one lane with construction going on and tons of holiday traffic. It took almost 3 hours to get through that stretch. I had the AC blasting, and it stayed ice cold the whole time. Not once did the truck overheat, nor did it have any engine issues.

Many a days I’ve idled through LA freeway traffic in the summer heat and with the same results. Never an issue so I’m confused as to how they don’t perform as well?!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The statement about efans not cooling as well during driving such as stop and go traffic in cities, baffles me. I idled basically 13 miles last 4th of July in 108 degree heat from mesquite Arizona up though little field on my way to Utah, as the virgin river gorge was left down to one lane with construction going on and tons of holiday traffic. It took almost 3 hours to get through that stretch. I had the AC blasting, and it stayed ice cold the whole time. Not once did the truck overheat, nor did it have any engine issues.

Many a days I’ve idled through LA freeway traffic in the summer heat and with the same results. Never an issue so I’m confused as to how they don’t perform as well?!
If your cooling system is in good shape, the electric fans are the way to go. I had an 02 with a fan clutch and now an 05 with the fans. Very steady readings under many different conditions. 2 years ago this July, I was traveling between the PNW to Missouri and down to Texas and it involved some long passes and intense heat with a/c on and never skipped a beat.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your cooling system is in good shape, the electric fans are the way to go. I had an 02 with a fan clutch and now an 05 with the fans. Very steady readings under many different conditions. 2 years ago this July, I was traveling between the PNW to Missouri and down to Texas and it involved some long passes and intense heat with a/c on and never skipped a beat.
Ah I see. Yeah cooling system is all good to go. New radiator went in a couple years ago, along with new hoses. Water pump has been done before that and then last summer the little plastic tee in the water pump hoses sprung a leak so replaced that, and all the coolant got replaced so it should be pretty good. I have the fans as well on my 2006 and that was one of the biggest reasons I wanted either a 2005 or a 2006.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the number of people who have converted from mechanical fan to electric fans, outnumbers those who have converted from electrical fans to mechanical by at least 5-to-1.

Only situation I can think of whe ONE mech fan would outperform two electrical fans, would be an uphill climb from a high altitude to an even higher altitude.
In such situations the RIGHT mech fan - think DuraMax mech fan - MIGHT outperform two electrical fans?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts