Factory Shocks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IrishTR

Reaction score
Curious, have a 2008 Denali XL with Autoride. The truck just feels really loose, kind of like its time to replace the shocks on a normal setup. But these are autoride, do they wear out like regular shocks? I am sitting around 83K miles on the vehicle, I dunno it just feels like even little bumps that I go over aren't being dampened or anything. Sorry I am not very good at the description, but mainly just wondering if there is a replacement interval typically for the autoride, or is it you'd know it if they were bad? Noticed that there are very few options to replace them at that, and often people disable the whole autoride and put normal ones in their place.

Any info would be appreciated (no lifts no lowering) just plain jane factory stuff ya know.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I disabled my autoride and put standard shocks all around. If you want to keep it - look into the Arnotts. There's probably 200 threads on this topic.

OP
OP
IrishTR

IrishTR

Reaction score
Ya I've seen that just wondering if I need to replace them or not. When did you change yours as far as mileage?

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2002 has had to hve its shocks replaced 3 times since it was bought brand new and it has 149k miles the first 2 sets were replaced when my perents owned it and they used the OEM original factory shocks and they last about 60000 miles then it starts to ride like a 1984 cadillac i just replaced them with a set of KYB gas adjust at 130 k and mine still rides like there brand new
factory shocks are good for about 50 to 60 miles if you got a 4wd get a set of rancho rs5000 or spend the money for rs9000 youll never have to change them again also i heard the bilstiens are good these KYB are good for the price but they ride like factory shocks wich are still to lose for me

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

its good idea to replace your shocks when its time when your shocks are old and the suspension feels really bouncy it will wear out your breaks alot faster

OP
OP
IrishTR

IrishTR

Reaction score
my 2002 has had to hve its shocks replaced 3 times since it was bought brand new and it has 149k miles the first 2 sets were replaced when my perents owned it and they used the OEM original factory shocks and they last about 60000 miles then it starts to ride like a 1984 cadillac i just replaced them with a set of KYB gas adjust at 130 k and mine still rides like there brand new
factory shocks are good for about 50 to 60 miles if you got a 4wd get a set of rancho rs5000 or spend the money for rs9000 youll never have to change them again also i heard the bilstiens are good these KYB are good for the price but they ride like factory shocks wich are still to lose for me

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

its good idea to replace your shocks when its time when your shocks are old and the suspension feels really bouncy it will wear out your breaks alot faster

Yea the regular shocks I gather that, when I had an 02 Suburban I replaced its with the Bilstein 5100s. But this 08 Denali XL has Autoride and seems to be a quandary in that people who do replace it, they disable it, and those who don't use those Arnotts. I guess I'm just looking for a surefire way to determine if my autoride shocks need replaced or if its just me not used to driving the Denali as a daily right now as I normally drive my Acura TL thats a whole different fit n feel to it.

As its gonna be expensive to do if I do decide to replace it with the Arnotts or go with a different option.

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my rear shocks and compressor. Mine were not holding air. But the ride was fine. "Loose" would seem to be more with steering linkages, tie rods, etc. or ball joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

udlooz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2008 LTZ Tahoe has autoride and feels way looser than my 2003 Yukon with plain old Monroe shocks... Could be just a different car feeling...

Gbam

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I dumped the Autoride for the Bilstein setup and and couldn't be happier. It handles like crazy and soaks up the pot holes/ bumps in the road better than the Autoride did. As far as your questio: The shocks can last 40k-100k miles, depends on how lucky you get. I replaced the Autoride at 125k miles but, I had a blown rear shock and the other was on its way. I'm not sure how long the left rear had been blown out though. The cost of replacing the two rears with OEM units was outrageous. Spent just under 700 and got a whole new setup, took a day to install. Wasn't bad at all.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I replaced mine at 110k. Compressor was shot, right rear was all blown out. I said screw that and went standard shocks all around and bypassed the system. I don't tow anything nor do I intend to, nor do I load up the vehicle very often for long trips. Worthless to me. Still rides great and cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukrazy