Exhaust tip placement? ...side, down or strait out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NebraskaJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was behind one today and noticed that. I'd have the pipe up higher and angled more downward so the angle of the slash cut matches the bumper cover. Maybe have no more than about half an inch of reveal.

I don't think this is possible... I remember there being a lot of issues with routing pipe except for a semi-stock location.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a cat back dual exhaust installed on my 07 Yukon XL Denali, a Gibson Extreme cat back dual exhaust system; however, I had to eliminate my spare tire, in order to complete the installation. This was the only cat back dual exhaust system, exiting behind each rear tire, that I could find.

Yes, there is a risk of being stuck SOL somewhere, if I have a flat tire, but I am going to get a tire inflator and sealer kit, and keep it in the truck.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think this is possible... I remember there being a lot of issues with routing pipe except for a semi-stock location.

It looks fairly easily doable to me. Maybe we're not picturing the same idea.

I grabbed a couple spare dual exit tips and tried a few quick ideas. This is what I was trying to describe, except maybe with tips that are even (these are staggered for straight out fitment on the driver's side of a G8) :

IMG_4272.JPG

It'd be for someone that wanted minimal pipe visible but not a total turn-down under the body to cause that reverberation resonance, but what pipe was visible would be clean and simple:

IMG_4273.JPG

I have a straight and even-tipped dual exit that I tried going straight out the back with the slash-cut tips following the bumper cover:

IMG_4275.JPG

IMG_4277.JPG

I like my side-swept exits, but they look a little funky from certain side angles and the exhaust pipe is visible from the back. I'm thinking of switching it up to duals straight out the back. I'll probably modify the G8 tips for this because they're a little bigger outside diameter and have rolled edges. These plain stainless ones just look like regular cut exhaust tubing.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a cat back dual exhaust installed on my 07 Yukon XL Denali, a Gibson Extreme cat back dual exhaust system; however, I had to eliminate my spare tire, in order to complete the installation. This was the only cat back dual exhaust system, exiting behind each rear tire, that I could find.

Yes, there is a risk of being stuck SOL somewhere, if I have a flat tire, but I am going to get a tire inflator and sealer kit, and keep it in the truck.

A new member recently posted up his dual exhaust and his spare is still in place. His exits out the back. From the pics I found online, there's a pipe that crosses over just behind the fuel tank and in front of the axle, then it arches over the axle, then around the spare and out the back. Even with good heat shielding, I'd be concerned about heat getting to the Auto-level compressor and spare.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A new member recently posted up his dual exhaust and his spare is still in place. His exits out the back. From the pics I found online, there's a pipe that crosses over just behind the fuel tank and in front of the axle, then it arches over the axle, then around the spare and out the back. Even with good heat shielding, I'd be concerned about heat getting to the Auto-level compressor and spare.
Good to know about an alternate option for a dual exhaust system.

And, yes, I'd be concerned, as well, if my spare tire was close to the exhaust pipe, without some solid heat shielding. The auto-level system was already removed and replaced with coils, before I bought my truck.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Flowmaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar