Upgraded exhaust help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a Borla 40086 in place of the resonator. I’m literally out of room, the Y pipe ends —-> 8” flex connector —-> 3.5” length 3.5” SS pipe —->Bola 40086 —> 4.5” SS 3.5” pipe —-> Borla 40946 —-> SS 3.5” axle back to dual 2.5” to 3.5” quad tip side exits after rear tires. Sound much much better, like you mentioned before that resonator wasn’t doing much of anything at all. I read something about putting a resonator before the muffler to delete tones before being amplified throughout the muffler. As soon as you mention the increase in volume, I had the “hand slapping the forehead duh” moment and it made perfect sense. Thanks a lot for the help I really appreciate it

I'm glad you got it handled! I was able to fit my 40" of muffler after getting a short (4"?) flex connector and trimming the end tubes on the mufflers down to butt them together with just enough gap to weld them through. Even then, I had to make a short radius 90° to curve upward to go over the axle, and it was tapered at that. I also fit in a dual valve cutout and a second, unmuffled circuit that runs parallel. It's a mess under there.

img_2981-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this mine lol
little itty bitty thing, actually I had it changed after this to a single out with a dual tip at the end where it comes out at the stock location.
The Carven on the Silverado is even smaller it's about 1/2 the size of the Borla
borla1.jpg

OP
OP
J

JPS0284

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it handled! I was able to fit my 40" of muffler after getting a short (4"?) flex connector and trimming the end tubes on the mufflers down to butt them together width just enough gap to weld them through. Even then, I had to make a short radius 90° to curve upward to go over the axle, and it was tapered at that. I also fit in a dual valve cutout and a second, unmuffled circuit that runs parallel. It's a mess under there.

View attachment 407598
Nice that’s impressive! Really clean! Mines riddled full of Butt / lap joint clamps

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice that’s impressive! Really clean! Mines riddled full of Butt / lap joint clamps

Thank you. Believe me- there's plenty of ZFG welds in it. It was really hot and I kept the fan on and doors open so some welds went to poo cuz the shielding gas was blown away. My response was to block the wind with my hand and burn a giant blob to cover the porous weld underneath.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to do the cutout and add the Borla 40086. After 6 years I've had enough of listening to this exhaust. Sometimes I just want it quiet. Which cutout did you use @Doubeleive ?

Dang those driveshafts are so tiny! I forgot how small they are compared to my modified one.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to do the cutout and add the Borla 40086. After 6 years I've had enough of listening to this exhaust. Sometimes I just want it quiet. Which cutout did you use @Doubeleive ?

Dang those driveshafts are so tiny! I forgot how small they are compared to my modified one.
I don't have a cutout on mine, maybe @iamdub does? i would put one on it if I could get away with it in comifornia, would kinda want headers with it but dang those things are nothing but trouble....I drive too hard bolts always work there way loose and gaskets leak. admittedly though I have not tried headers and locking bolts, maybe someday I will give it a try again.

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s a reasonable scrap value for all 3 cats?
I was offered $55.00 each for the 4 I have in my garage. I still have one of the Yukons so I decided to save them because of the expense if I ever have to reinstall.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't have a cutout on mine, maybe @iamdub does?

I have a dual valve one. It's a cheap POS, but the only dual valve design I knew existed.

...would kinda want headers with it but dang those things are nothing but trouble....I drive too hard bolts always work there way loose and gaskets leak. admittedly though I have not tried headers and locking bolts, maybe someday I will give it a try again.

I definitely don't baby mine and the only bolts that have worked loose are at the collector-to-Y-pipe flange. Just on one side, too. Running stock-type gaskets and Dorman stock-type manifold bolts.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know more about your modded drive shaft. Modded shaft sounds funny :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019