Exhaust Tailpipe Routing w/ New Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had a dynomax ulta flo muffler welded on. Currently no tailpipe at all, but I really should do something. It sounds great, but the drone is awful, and the low end torque is gone. any suggestions on how to get some of the torque back? I'd like to have it exit out the back, but I feel like it's going to be expensive to have something made that will do that.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible that the lack of an exhaust pipe cut down on the scavenging effect of the exhaust gases? Valve overlap in engines allows cylinders to help each other get those exhaust gases out. The exhaust system diameter, length of tubing (longer tubing provides a kind of hallway for those gases to get running to provide momentum to the gas flow to keep sucking the fumes out) is all engineered to produce an amount of torque at low rpm to help with low end acceleration, since most of us don't use these vehicles for racing and they are heavy. That is why that low end torque is so important, and that is one of the advantages of a torque convertor-it allows the engine to spin up into a sweet spot of producing some torque for acceleration, kind of like having a granny gear. So yeah, maybe a tail pipe would help.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up just putting a stock like tailpipe on. Fixed the torque, and it still feels good at high rpm. A LOT quieter.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'd like to use my stock tailpipe once mine is done. Going long tubes with mbrp muffler. I just hope the drone isn't going to be too harsh.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to use my stock tailpipe once mine is done. Going long tubes with mbrp muffler. I just hope the drone isn't going to be too harsh.

Mine doesn't drone at all. I wasn't able to reuse the stock tailpipe since the stock muffler was dual out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts