Exact correct coolant for 99 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eliminatethebug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, 99 Yukon here, 5.7L V8 gas. What is the correct coolant for a flush? I have used a little Prestone all vehicles stuff to top up in the past but I want to do a full drain & fill (disconnect lower rad hose), flush the heater core (low pressure garden hose style) and put in exactly the right stuff.

Probably will use Prestone again, it's easy to find. But which spec? I hear about Dexcool and stuff and don't want to make a mistake. I could also use all the All Makes version too??

bsamole

Reaction score
I have been using Dexcool in my '99 Tahoe since I bought it new (23 years ago). I have had no issues with Dexcool however there are others who don't like Dexcool. Be sure to use the GM Cooling System Seal Tablet part number 12378255 per GM instructions.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, 99 Yukon here, 5.7L V8 gas. What is the correct coolant for a flush? I have used a little Prestone all vehicles stuff to top up in the past but I want to do a full drain & fill (disconnect lower rad hose), flush the heater core (low pressure garden hose style) and put in exactly the right stuff.

Probably will use Prestone again, it's easy to find. But which spec? I hear about Dexcool and stuff and don't want to make a mistake. I could also use all the All Makes version too??
Is the coolant in the reservoir right now, Green or Orange?

Reaction score
Just pee in it, lol.

I'm not sure when GM switched from green to orange antifreeze, but my 2001 5.3l takes orange as well as my 2012 6.2l.

Now the 5.7l (350 zz4 crate engine with aluminum heads) in the hotrod takes green.

Years ago, green antifreeze had a problem with aluminum, but that's not a problem anymore

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 97 GT was equipped from factory with Dexcool coolant (Orange). Once the warranty was up, I opted to switch to Prestone (Green) because of cost and availability. As I look back, it was not long after switching I ended up with a leaking heater core. I replaced 2 radiators because of leaking plastic end caps. I have also replace 2 sets of lower intake manifold gaskets due to leaks. If I could do it all over, I would have stayed with original Dexcool, and took my chances. The vehicle to this day is still my original owner daily driver. 430k Kms.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using Dexcool in my '99 Tahoe since I bought it new (23 years ago). I have had no issues with Dexcool however there are others who don't like Dexcool. Be sure to use the GM Cooling System Seal Tablet part number 12378255 per GM instructions.
I had never heard of these tablets before. Thanks for the tip!

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you truly want to drain the coolant you need to remove the plugs in the block. It's a messy job but it will get all of the coolant out and there is a lot in the block that doesn't come out draining the radiator and removing the lower hose. There is a plug on both sides of the block, the knock sensor is the plug on the passenger side. I've refilled with Dex-Cool or Universal antifreeze with no problems as long as there aren't any leaks.

OP
OP
E

eliminatethebug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I will use Dexcool. The overflow bottle was almost empty so I'm not sure on what has been used in the past. The vehicle has 265,000 km on it so I'm just trying to maintain it so it can last. I don't think I will do a "full" system drain with the block plugs, I will just do as much as possible by removing lower rad hose, flush heater core, etc.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 1999 rig came with the Dexcool (orange coolant). No telling what's in there now. Hopefully it is still Dexcool and hopefully it has been flushed in the past. As someone stated earlier, take note of what comes out when you drain it. Going back with Dexcool is a great idea as long as what comes out when you drain it is dexcool (orange). It is a very bad idea to mix the coolant types especially when you are not completely draining the engine block. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900