GMT800 Coolant hose "Y" connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 2001, the "Y" connector is leaking that's made into the heater hose/coolant hose that connects the water pump, heater core, and coolant overflow bottle. This is now the THIRD hose that's leaked on my truck since purchasing it. I did purchase it in 2005, but still......
This current hose has been on the truck since around 2017 or 2018 or so, and now it's leaking right at that plastic "Y" splice. Is there a RELIABLE replacement for this hose? I just ordered a Dorman hose from Rockauto that has a metal "Y" splice and hose clamps. Should this solve my issue once and for all? Or is there an even better solution?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2001, the "Y" connector is leaking that's made into the heater hose/coolant hose that connects the water pump, heater core, and coolant overflow bottle. This is now the THIRD hose that's leaked on my truck since purchasing it. I did purchase it in 2005, but still......
This current hose has been on the truck since around 2017 or 2018 or so, and now it's leaking right at that plastic "Y" splice. Is there a RELIABLE replacement for this hose? I just ordered a Dorman hose from Rockauto that has a metal "Y" splice and hose clamps. Should this solve my issue once and for all? Or is there an even better solution?
the Dorman Y is metal so yes, I would use spring clamps though

OP
OP
S

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I had an new engine (long block) installed in my truck in January of 2023. The engine installer used regular green coolant. I've always used the Orange Dex-Cool coolant. He claims that the regular green stuff works just fine, it just needs to flushed and replaced more often than the Dex-Cool. I'm think about just flushing it out now and going back to Dex-Cool. Thoughts?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had those hose leak at that location of the Y, but I've only put maybe like 45k since I switched from the SBC to the LS engines.

I'd say, yes, just switch to metal and hose clamps and keep.on trukin'.

Green vs Dex-cool? Eh, either is fine and yes, green has a shorter life.

I've only ever ran Dex-cool since I my first GM vehicle in 2003-ish (99 Malibu). I drain/replace it at like 75k or maybe 5-6 years, usually when replacing a water pump or something like that. Never had any sludge. I really don't see myself going back to the green stuff honestly. This is on GMT 800s daily drivers that have over 200k, as well as my other newer-ish vehicles.

I do own a GMT 400 k3500. That one had green antifreeze when I bought it, so that's what I use on it (actually last time I just dumped some "universal" coolant stuff). But I hardly ever drive that truck. Usually only like once or twice a month at most when making runs to the landfill.

For daily driver duties, racking a good amount of annual miles, Dex-cool.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run green in everything just for the simplicity of only stocking one thing on the shelf. Won't hurt a thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660