Ever drive it hard?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do you ever get on it? Hammer down? Drive it like you stole it? If so, how often? How many miles after break in? Is driving it hard ever a good idea for proper break in?

I'm not driving like a grandma but I tend to drive mine "mildly". I've not had an american car/truck for a while and I'm nervous to bust something from driving it hard.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You hear so much different advice, drive it hard, take it easy to break things in, don't go over 3,000 rpm's. It's really hard to say. If the motor was rebuilt, I'd just follow the builder's advice and if it's a new vehicle, I'd just follow the manufacturer's recommended advice, and go from there. That's if you plan on keeping it for a long time, if not, by all means, drive it like you stole it! But I'm older and wiser now, also broke. When I was younger I drove everything like I stole it and blew up a few transmissions and a few headgaskets. I also floated a valve racing a Porsche.

AngelXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm 3,000 and I had a few occasions that entering the hwy. I needed to punch it hard. RPM hitting 3, 4 and easily 5. Top speed i done is 85. I have a nice trip coming up this weekend up the Hutchinson Hwy where this baby will be test it to is triple digits.

Last edited:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i subscribe to the theory of break it in like you are going to drive it.

most of the time , i drive fairly hard. the rest, just mild.
i believe it is better to find problems early on & fix them under warranty. ;)

of course mine has some upgraded bits. (s/c, brakes, suspension, corsa & brakes)

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime I just have to punch it to get into the I-95 never ending traffic in Miami-Dade and Broward County..If you go too slow some vehicle will end up in your back seat or worse yet you could get shot..Believe me that has happened down here.

Normally I am very easy on my vehicles but if everyone is doing 80 mph I am right there with them.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Sometime I just have to punch it to get into the I-95 never ending traffic in Miami-Dade and Broward County..If you go too slow some vehicle will end up in your back seat or worse yet you could get shot..Believe me that has happened down here.

oh I don't miss that I-95 I'll pray for ya.!!!! or the Palmetto expressway either.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Normally I am very easy on my vehicles but if everyone is doing 80 mph I am right there with them.

I try to avoid 95 with a vengeance and with snow bird season and spring break coming it will only get worse.

Sometimes that necessitates a WOT lane change otherwise I try to keep it "normal'.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally the break in is for a reason. The one thing I do differently is I change the oil once the recommended break in is done. Once that's over you can drive it as hard as you want. That's why the computer has rev limiters and tops speed limits. Maybe think of it this way. Does your truck work harder towing your boat at 55 mph or going 90 miles an hour without it? You have a power train warranty. The only thing you'll hurt driving hard is your wallet from buying more gas, new brakes, and new tires. Drive it the way you like to drive but pay attention to oil change intervals based on how/where you drive.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just over 20K miles on mine. I've been driving it pretty hard for the past year- 10K miles. Not abusing it.
But it has enough engine to make it enjoyable to mash the throttle sometimes, if even unnecessary at the time. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
21 tots hoes Z71

Latest posts