Engine Oil leak. Location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for help pin pointing oil leak location.

RULING OUT: REAR MAIN SEAL, OIL PRESSURE SENSOR.

It's running down back of block and often will accumulate on sun shell and drip off that.

I want to rule out rear main seal and oil pressure sensor.

Where else could it be coming from. It looks like it's coming from a higher spot than lower.

By using an inspection mirror to look down behind the engine I can see possibly little bit of wet around near the pressure sensor. I just changed that though and I'd like to thing that's not it.

I park on neighbours nice raised aggregate driveway for the winter and I have to put a 2x2' mat down every night. Getting old.. I thought I fixed it with the pressure sensor buts it's not looking that way..

When I changed the transmission last year the leak appeared to be coming from a higher point than the rear main seal location.

I'm thinking valley cover, head gasket left side

Any spots to look for would be great!,,

Thanks guys..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

YukonXLPerk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the intake gasket.

Guess it is a little late but.....I recommend {if you have the money} to change manifold gasket along with the knock sensors and the oil pressure gauge all at the same time.

Good luck, hope it is not the rear main seal.

laredo1307

Reaction score
Does it have an oil cooler? Could be the o-ring seals on the oil cooler lines.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, from the top of the motor oil pressure sender, knock sensors, and valley cover can be sources. Unfortunately have to take off intake to get to those, so once you're their changing knock sensors so you don't have to do it again. I don't recall where oil cooler lines go...I thought they were lower ? Someone know where they attach in the back?

OP
OP
electro

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, as stated my knock sensors are new. As well as oil pressure sensor.

Adding to possible leak locations:

HEAD GASKET. How far up into the heads does the piston stroke?
Does the head gasket come into contact with oil always ? Or only while the piston rings are stroking past it?

VALLEY COVER.

KNOCK SENSOR OIL SEALS.

And possibly two locations in this photo.
A.) the electrical connector BESIDE oil pressure sensor WHAT IS THAT? ANYONE KNOW?

una4y7a4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to an auto parts store and get some oil dye. Add it to your engine, run it for a few hundred miles, then look for the discoloration where the leak is.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a dye that you add to your engine oil. When it finds its way to the world via your leak, you'll have a colored trail to follow. Here's a link:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1&categoryRedirect=N2323&pt=N2323&ppt=C0014

Detailed Description
Dye-Lite(R) finds oil leaks fast! Made specifically for gasoline engine applications. Makes even dirty or sooty oil fluoresce brilliantly! Dye-Lite(R) gasoline engine oil dye comes in a 1 Oz. bottle. Highly concentrated and glows a bright yellow/green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADOG843