Engine is running cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassgas

Reaction score
Replaced fan with electric fan now engine runs cold around 158. Mechanic installed it had him check it and engine would not heat he replaced thermostat he said rubber gasket had slipped engine got warm enough one time now back to low temp any suggestions

Cbncanada

Reaction score
Replacing the fan should not make the engine run cold. You either still have a thermostat problem or you are low on coolant or there is a lot of air in the system.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replaced fan with electric fan now engine runs cold around 158. Mechanic installed it had him check it and engine would not heat he replaced thermostat he said rubber gasket had slipped engine got warm enough one time now back to low temp any suggestions

Any other recent work? New radiator?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Not too long ago I had temps showing low, running 160ish. Popped a thermostat in, and temps only came up a couple degrees. Pulled out IR temp gun, which might have been good to do in the first place, found my actual temps were about what they should be pointing at the head at the temp sensor, but the sensor was reporting too low. Replaced the temp sensor.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What brand of thermostat are they using? OE and one other work and last, the others fail constantly.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about a little more history? How long have you owned the truck?

Has it ever run at the right operating temp, based on the thermostat temp?

Any prior front end damage or other issue that would cause the radiator to have been replaced?

Used a scan tool to see what temp the sensor is reporting?

OP
OP
bassgas

bassgas

Reaction score
Not too long ago I had temps showing low, running 160ish. Popped a thermostat in, and temps only came up a couple degrees. Pulled out IR temp gun, which might have been good to do in the first place, found my actual temps were about what they should be pointing at the head at the temp sensor, but the sensor was reporting too low. Replaced the temp sensor.
I hooked up my code reader and checked temperature that way. Could temp sensor due that as well?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, a temp gun to get actual temp and compare. Likely the temp sender. Doubt the thermostat since it went right back to the colder reading.

We recommend that you put all your rig(s) info in your signature so we all don’t have to guess at year, make, model, engine size, trans, rear axle locker…….etc. While you may have posted pertinent info in your first post, you may forget to do it again and the info is needed by us anyway. Makes it way easier on all members that attempt to help, to have that info right up front. It is also recommended that you take a pic of your RPO codes, on the inside cover of the glove box, and post that image in your signature. All this info will greatly help those that will try to help with a problem.

If there is any other info, like upgrades, mods or recent mechanical/maintenance work done, that would be helpful in any post as well. Too many times a question is asked by the poster and after about 10 responses we find out that the poster has done recent work to attempt to fix the problem or work that was done that SEEMS not related to the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts