engine chug/hesitation..HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok..i finally got a check engine light..but it was not so helpful. it came up as a P0300..showed as a "random misfire detected" which obviously makes sense because of the chugging.

My dumb question about it being a bad fuel pump is..wouldn't it start hard? it starts right away makes me wonder about a fuel problem. My other thought was something to do with spark, either plugs/wires or maybe a bad coil?? It runs great cruising down the highway just when you get on the gas enough it acts up

Suburbinator

Reaction score
When one of my O2 sensors crapped out, it did the same thing. Never threw a light or code either.
I don't have experience with E3's, but I only trust the OEM style plugs. I had so many issues with Bosch Platinums back in the day, I swore I'd stick to the basic replacement plugs.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think i finally figured it out...one of the E3 sparkplugs was all messed up... due to "someone" dropping it when installing them. Yeah i goofed and dropped it..and it hairline cracked it. So when i pulled it out tonight it had cracked enough that the ceramic around the elctrode slid up and down on it. So after replacing it with a good one, and not dropping it, it seemed to run better on my way home. so hopefully that is it, i hope i didn't wreck my coil or anything

saturday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odie - my 04 Denali was just doing the same thing. its the throttle body or the gas pedal. one of them is failing to transmit or receive the signals. seems random i know, but i ended up replacing both before i figured out which one was failing.

DOH!
dee de dee

2 hours late and i still had the wrong answer! tomorrow will be a better day.
:mexsmoke:
saturday

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i thought it was better after replacing my dropped plug..well part of it is better but it still does it. I notice it a lot more if you accelerate hard that any time it goes above 3k rpm it really starts to miss and pop. I was wondering if it could be an ignition coil that is going out?? is there any way to test them?

is there a way to test the throttle body theory out?

saturday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my mechanic was able to test the calibration between the throttle and the TB. i dont know how to, but i know someone here does. My problem was only during low RPMs though. would die just about anytime it idled. frustrating on mopac @ 5:30.

:mexsmoke:

pmbiker

Reaction score
When my O2 sensor(s) crapped out my symptoms were a little different. I had rough idle, hesitation at cruising speeds and black exhaust (too rich) at WOT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork