engine chug/hesitation..HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i have an 04 tahoe w/ 135k miles on it.. been running like a top until lately. Seems like now (maybe started a couple weeks ago, which is when it got colder here but not sure if that is part of it)... when going down the road and trying to lightly accelerate i will get a hesitation. It will do like 2-3 good chugs and then smooth out and accelerate fine. If i sit in drive with the brake on for a while i will get a chug every now and then. Is this something to do with my fuel system or ignition or??

My wife even notices it when slightly accelerating down the road..it chugs hard..almost like a tranny problem but i don't think it is that due to it chugging a bit at idle. Under full accel u can hear it miss a bit but dont feel it.(my exhaust makes some extra pops instead of a smooth pull sound).

Anybody have ideas?? I did just recently change spark plugs and got an increase in mileage(put in e3's went from 16 to 16.5) but this started a month after the plugs. I also added lt headers, and haven't had a re-tune if that could cause it..but the headers were on for probably 2 months before this started.

HELP PLEASE

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump may be on the way out, but try cleaning out the throttle body real good with some TB cleaner, and while you are at it if you haven't done a fuel filter for a while do that too, worth trying the easier less costly stuff before the others!!

lowAZhoe

Resident GM Tech
Reaction score
u got oil on your air filter? like a k&n or something? clean your mass air flow sensor if you do, and do the throttle body service. fuel filter is a good ides too. if none of that fixes it...its probably a fuel pump.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, also get yourself some MAF cleaner and clean it out as well, get only the stuff specifically for your MAF sensor and do as the directions tell you and DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR TO DRY IT OUT, you will be buying another one if you do!!

So do these:

Clean MAF sensor (just as lowAZhoe mentioned)
Clean out Throttle Body
Change out your Fuel Filter
Check your plugs and make sure they are good and gapped to .040
Do a "Seafoam" treatment through the brake boost hose
Dump some seafoam in your gas for the injectors

These are easy maintenance items that don't cost a ton, might do the trick without dropping the tank to change out the fuel pump!

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i just did a 3-part fuel treatment a week ago, which cleaned the tb, intake and had an intake cleaner. My maf sensor was cleaned a month ago when i cleaned my AEM air filter...so no oil on my filter. I did a fuel filter a year ago so i is probably time to try that first.

Also on my e3's they are fixed at .060

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i did the fuel filter..so far it seems to have done nothing. the only o2's i have are the front ones. I have an off road y pipe and no rear o2's which were shut off during my black bear tune.

the part i don't get is..why doesnt a check engine light come on?? it chugs hard like a miss or a knock and does it in a series of 2-3 at a time...but never throws a code. Maybe it does 2-3 but they are all on different cylinders so a code isn't set??

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel filter helped a little bit when i drove home. it made the slight acceleration chugs a bit less noticeable but still there.

Anyone know where to get a fuel pump for a good price?? mine is a flex fuel..so far the best price i have found is $240 through napa.

is there a way to test for the cam sensor thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia