Engine bay cleaning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Vortec

Reaction score
So I want to clean my engine bay and front suspension. Anyone have any tips? Power washing seems disaster prone as there are so many electrical component connectors that the water might infiltrate.

On my 79 elky, I just cover the carb, dizzy, and alternator and I'm good to go.

Any suggestions please?

sreeves

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never had any problems washing mine.
Usually I use the All Purpose Cleaner from Adam's polishes. (See the main page for Supporting Vendors). I know the owner and they make great products.
If you're not close and shipping is too much, I would recommend using Simple Green. It's not corrosive and a great all around degreaser.
I pressure washed mind and it came out great.
I would do it on a warm day and drive it afterwards to steam off the water.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The connector are much better then what was on vehicle from the '80's. they are weather sealed. I cover the intake and alt and spray down the whole thing.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love purple power and have been using it once a month for the past 6 years and nothing has ever gone wrong. i let it sit for about 10 min. then spray it with the normal household hose and it looks brand new

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dosent purple power turn everything white?

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a chevy dealer and we wash engines all the time with out issues we use a low power pressure washer with hot water and degreaser . Actually I just did mine today haha

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used "scrubbing bubbles" in the past and its worked very well. Cover the normal items, alternators, carb, etc. Spray the scrubbing bubbles, let it sit for a good 15 minutes, then spray off. I keep my engine bay clean enough that thats all I need to do.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super clean works waaaay better tha purple power. Soak everything in super clean and rinse off. I would avoid a pressure washer due to blow back and electrical connector. No matter how good the weather pack seals are a 2000lb jet of water can ********* it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia