E fans and towing??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone running E Fans and towing with their Hoe? Getting ready to drop a crate motor in and figured this is the perfect time to add E Fans....how ever I saw a warning on the Perma-Cool EFans that they were not for heavy towing aps. That confuses me since being electrical their RPM should remain the same regardless of engine RPM so they should cool better.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read a few guys on GMFS have had trouble with putting fans on their HDs and had them overheat.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats my concern. I was looking to see if I could find a radiator with an additional core and a oil cooler as those two items could help but cant find anything. I plan to tow around 7,000 lbs. Only due it once a year but its a 12 hour drive both ways in the South during the summer.

nikel

Reaction score
Do you guys know if these efan installs where shrouded? They need to be inorder to be most effective.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
some kits they come "shrouded", home made kits usually people dont make shrouds. heres my flexalites

If you only take that trip once a year, you could always just use the elec fans up till then then swap it out for the clutch fan... the improvements for electric fans are sooo great that if i was to tow 1 day out of the 365 days of the yr. i would change it every time.
the mpg increase for every day besides that "1" towing day would make up for the time changing the fans back and forth. plus youll love the fans anyways.
Cheers!

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My issue is the Hoe isnt my DD per say...it gets driven 3 times a week so the mpg gain I am looking for was for the towing day...800 miles each way. 9mpg sucks...was hoping to get up to 11mpg. That would be nice.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
hmm.. whats your budget to get up to 11mpg???? elec fan kit is around 500bucks. making your own is about 100 bucks.. there are other mods you can do aswell to reach your 11mpg marker..

i read you have a 2000 tahoe limited edition? a cold air intake would help that thing suck in some more air. maybe a msd coil, wire and ignition box upgrade to burn some more fuel, some type of headers and maybe a cat back will get the air out faster..
what else.. a nice solid tune up? different gears in the rearend could help some. a supercharger will def help on the freeway when you really need to pull that trailer around. that itself is around 1 to 3 mpg gain, not sure if it stay that way with towing something like that, but superchargers will HELP you.. those steep climbs will be next to nothing with a blower..

Throw up a budget and we can go from there, ever replace your motor yet??

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am odering a crate motor today so that kills most of the budget. It will leave me around $700 to play with. I measured my radiator earlier, looks to be 34"x19".

The CAI is an easy upgrade later as is the cat back so I was looking at things that are easier to do with the engine out that will get me there.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
i would do long tubes then if your state emissions allow it, highflow cats, quite mufflers since loud ones are obnoxious for that long of a drive then do a nice Volant or K&N CAI. volant is better tho :)

long tubes-300-400bucks, mufflers and cats ehh price varies, hopefully you can make your own exhaust saving alot of money, then volant intake ehh about 200ish..

That would do ya pretty good. or shit.. get your new motor in, call up Blackbear or the vendor on the right side and get a street tune... good for a nice jump in mpgs, no torque management and an assload of other benefits, why didnt i think of that!
with money left from the tune, get the exhaust done or just an intake and call it a day.. youll be very happy with the results!

(former Blackbear customer, i can assure you, you willll be happy) and no they didnt pay me to say that. lol

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so it sounds like my best choice is with the new motor:

1) CAI
2) Tune
3) shorty (long tubes are not allowed but I will call my emissions guy and verify...I'm military and a non resident but my Hoe was bought here so it falls under states laws so I am still not over familiar with them all)
4) high flow cats
5) magnaflow muffs? (or is there something quieter)

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

ordered this motor:

http://paceperformance.com/i-513496...-van-savannahexpress-vans-under-8600-gvw.html

Ordering the volant CAI and JBA cat forward shorty's....that will leave a little cash for new hoses and a MSD coil (the truck is entirely stock except for a kn filter in the factory box)

Then I will order a tune... from Black bear (anyone got a web address/link for them?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo