Dvd/Radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Darkmatter, Why is there such a big space around the head unit? What dash kit did you use?

Modded, what dasH kit did you use?

I don't think Dark has a dash kit on there now that I looked real close.

I used the American International kit because I like their 2-piece design over the regular bulky looking single piece one.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you used the sides of the kit to bolt the radio in but didn't use the front bezel?

That's what it looks like. That bezel should fit. That's the correct kit. Does it fit through the opening of the factory titanium trim bezel without putting it on the radio? Is it the radio being too big to not go through the dash kit bezel?

Not trying to bust your chops, but that looks pretty bad.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I'm confused with what he did too Nathan.
I guess if he likes it like that he should just keep it as is.
If I had that much difficulty getting it to fit I would just sell the HU and get another one that does fit before I left it to look like that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

darkmatter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you used the sides of the kit to bolt the radio in but didn't use the front bezel?

That's what it looks like. That bezel should fit. That's the correct kit. Does it fit through the opening of the factory titanium trim bezel without putting it on the radio? Is it the radio being too big to not go through the dash kit bezel?

Not trying to bust your chops, but that looks pretty bad.

I know it looks bad. This is my family car I only use for long trips so the project is still in progress.

It's the correct kit but the bezel that came with it obviously didn't fit the HU.

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

I'm confused with what he did too Nathan.
I guess if he likes it like that he should just keep it as is.
If I had that much difficulty getting it to fit I would just sell the HU and get another one that does fit before I left it to look like that.

Like I said before its a work in progress, that why I came to the forum to seek help from someone that has had experience with this problem, your comments are obviously not helpful in any way except pointing out the obvious.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

Thanks for your help guys, if I don't find a way to modify the radio bezel I am going with the easy way and just getting another HU.

Last edited:

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the radio is too big, you could always dremel it out a little bigger. I see the issue you're having in the last picture you posted. the factory radio has a plastic surround around the whole unit not allowing the front bezel to work properly. It looks to me that any kit you get will have the same issue.

If you have a dremel or you're good with an exacto knife, you can trim the opening out a little more to be able to fit it.

Let me know if you need any guidance or have any questions. We're all here to help. I'm sure modded not meaning to be rude.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude to you Juni if that's what it looked like. I was just trying to find out the issue so I can try to help.
I'm probably one of the most helpful members on this forum so I don't want you thinking I'm some ******* because I'm not.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just installed my radio today. Now I completely understand the issue you're having. Basically, like I said earlier. Because of the radio, you'll have to trim the piece very carefully for it to work, or just leave it as is.

I had to cut the 2 plastic pieces out from behind the radio to get mine to fit, but the radio is shallow enough for it to fit flush and still be able to open for DVDs.

Mcopco

Reaction score
I have an 09 tahoe that I put a pioneer 8100 in. It fits tight with the plastic in and I want to remove because I can't use the USB ports with the unit because they protrude to Farro allow the unit to be installed. Anyway since it sounds like you all have removed the plastic pieces in the back I would like some guidance on that if you all have any to provide. I have no dremel so can I do this with hand tools? Anything behind it I should be worried about cutting? Thanks. What it looks like now. I think it looks good.

IMG_20151124_113533.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667