Driving around on one rear shock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevs10zr2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had my suspension and exhaust worked on last month, and I’m getting my tires rotated today. When they pulled the driver side rear tire, the damn shock wasn’t even bolted up on top. Unbelievable.

The truck has always rode rough, so I didn’t think anything of it given the ride, except that it was swaying like hell. I chalked that up to needing shorter endlinks and a new sway bar from Tony, had no idea the shock wasn’t even bolted up.

Heading over to the shop now who worked on it. I’ve logged at least 1,500 miles since the suspension work was done, probably more.

My question is there any damaging thing that could’ve happened as a result of this that I need to look at before going over and laying into these guys?

1a3d6e3a9c7728a15a820a5994d380d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not unless the shock bashed into stuff, otherwise your tire might have some weird wear because of not having proper damping, but unlikely you can prove that. Otherwise I'd bolt it back up. How old are the shocks?

OP
OP
C

chevs10zr2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not unless the shock bashed into stuff, otherwise your tire might have some weird wear because of not having proper damping, but unlikely you can prove that. Otherwise I'd bolt it back up. How old are the shocks?

They are 2 years old, maybe have 15k miles on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, unless it was standing upright for awhile and bashing into the body but take a look.... chances are it was in the bracket for a while and then 1 big bump and she layed down.... maybe some rubbing..
Looks kinda clean like it was compressed in the middle like it should be so maybe it happened recently...

YukonCrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta say that is pretty incompetent of them to not bolt the shock back on. Someone was smoking something over there. BTW, I would be looking over any suspension they touched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk