Drivers side floormat wet after rain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've noticed recently after it rains that my drivers side floormat gets wet. I peeled back the carpet / side molding and found water in the channel that runs down the side of the car as well as the felt sound deadening.

I've done some searching and it seems like it points to the door seal. Before I drop $90 on the weatherseal, is there any other common causes of this leak?

I poked around and looked by the firewall and all that stuff seems to be dry.

Thanks!

shoplizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, Has the windshield been replaced recently, check for water coming down from the inside corner because of a poor seal? Has there been damage to that portion of the vehicle? Check for proper positioning of the weatherstrip seal. If you live in the rust belt, check for rust at the windshield mounting area creating a poor seal of the windshield.

Hope this helps, Shoplizard

OP
OP
D

domoarigato

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Has the windshield been replaced recently, check for water coming down from the inside corner because of a poor seal? Has there been damage to that portion of the vehicle? Check for proper positioning of the weatherstrip seal. If you live in the rust belt, check for rust at the windshield mounting area creating a poor seal of the windshield.

Hope this helps, Shoplizard

Thanks for the input. I believe the windshield was replaced by the previous owner. I also get some wind noise when the car is at freeway speeds.

In order to check for the windshield seal, I assume I have to remove the cowl?

Also my truck does not have a sunroof, so no sunroof drains to clog.

Thanks

shoplizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, You may not have to remove the cowl just yet. A good way to check for a leak in that area is to clean and dry the interior as much as possible and then remove the kick panel, find yourself a helper, or a roll of duck tape. Position the hose near the top of the windshield and let the water run down to the lower left area of the glass. Now find the most uncomfortable position you can imagine and with the door closed look up into the dash area from underneath with a flashlight and look carefully in the area for water running down into the interior of the vehicle, hopefully, you will find the source of the leak. As for the wind noise, check the thin strip of trim over the edge of the glass to see if it is loose. If it is, take some narrow double face sticky tape and secure it to the glass on both sides