Double din and speaker upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joao GANDAREZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently did a dual din in my truck. I did a zeepin android based radio. $160 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/252946462971

Put a set of ct sounds meso 6.5 component set in the front. $125https://www.ctsounds.com/collections/meso-series-speakers/products/meso-6-5-comp

And for the rear i got a set of old-school Rockford fosgate power series co axails. $40 used.

I have a regular bose system. But sounds way better great base with the regular bose center console sub for now. The only thibg i would change now that its done is spend more on an android OS radio
20171221_162647.jpg

Last edited:

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What don't you like about the cheaper Android head unit you put in?

I spent a little more for mine, but curious.
I just finished and turned it on, haven't had a chance to play with it at all yet.

Joao GANDAREZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The bluetooth connects in and out for like half second while playing music through bluetooth.the eq isnt the best but it works. Im running it through the stock amp so idk if thats what i have to change to get it to sound better. thats about my only gripes at the moment. Ive had it for 2 weeks.connected it to my google it has connects to wifi. But im thinking of getting a internet plan just for it. In order for it to have internet all the time for navigation,music and in case one day if the truck is ever stolen i could locate it with that too if possible. i use google maps. It came with igo. But i downloaded google offline maps. Not using igo.. i seen people root the android radios not trying to do that at the moment. Let me enjoy it before messing with it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bluetooth connects in and out for like half second while playing music through bluetooth.the eq isnt the best but it works. Im running it through the stock amp so idk if thats what i have to change to get it to sound better. thats about my only gripes at the moment. Ive had it for 2 weeks.connected it to my google it has connects to wifi. But im thinking of getting a internet plan just for it. In order for it to have internet all the time for navigation,music and in case one day if the truck is ever stolen i could locate it with that too if possible. i use google maps. It came with igo. But i downloaded google offline maps. Not using igo.. i seen people root the android radios not trying to do that at the moment. Let me enjoy it before messing with it.
Part of the reason it doesn't sound that great is the fact those speakers are 4 ohm and Bose speakers are 2 ohm. If you run a 4 ohm speaker on a Bose amp the power is cut almost in half so the sound level is way down. And if you have 2 ohm Bose speakers in the rear doors and 4 ohm speakers in the front doors, you have a mismatched output level so you'll have to try to force more of the power through the fronts using the fader which makes the whole system suffer. You either need to replace all 4 speakers with 4 ohm ones and use an aftermarket amp to run them or find 2 ohm speakers for the fronts in order to keep using the Bose amp. There are 2 ohm 6.5" speakers out there, you just have to look hard. I'm running JBL GTO628's which sound great but they're not made anymore. They do make a GTO620 which is 2.5 ohms and would work good. I saw them on Ebay for around $100 a pair. https://www.jbl.com/car-speakers/St...m GTO620___color=Black-GLOBAL-Current#start=1

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your head unit gives you these options try these settings and see how it sounds with the stock amp, mine sounds decent with these settings on the stock bose amp

nex.jpg nex1.jpg nex2.jpg nex3.jpg

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenwood and Pioneer both are vast leaps better than a Boss head unit. I know that the Excelon line Kenwood has are decent quality.

I MIGHT put a Boss in a ... golf cart. ;)

Lol forget that. Even my golf cart has a pioneer!

Now my 4 wheeler does have a boss bluetooth controller... and I hate the sound quality on it. But I haven't found a name brand that will work in its place yet. And the mud and water haven't killed it yet

Joao GANDAREZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Part of the reason it doesn't sound that great is the fact those speakers are 4 ohm and Bose speakers are 2 ohm. If you run a 4 ohm speaker on a Bose amp the power is cut almost in half so the sound level is way down. And if you have 2 ohm Bose speakers in the rear doors and 4 ohm speakers in the front doors, you have a mismatched output level so you'll have to try to force more of the power through the fronts using the fader which makes the whole system suffer. You either need to replace all 4 speakers with 4 ohm ones and use an aftermarket amp to run them or find 2 ohm speakers for the fronts in order to keep using the Bose amp. There are 2 ohm 6.5" speakers out there, you just have to look hard. I'm running JBL GTO628's which sound great but they're not made anymore. They do make a GTO620 which is 2.5 ohms and would work good. I saw them on Ebay for around $100 a pair. https://www.jbl.com/car-speakers/Stadium+GTO620_.html?dwvar_Stadium GTO620___color=Black-GLOBAL-Current#start=1
The fronts have a crossover so im unsure of ohms after going through the crossovers.or at the crossover itself.im no electrical guru. Tbh idk the ohms on any of them. However it does sound better all around. Not an audiophile at all just like to know stuff is good condition of speakers were questionable. If i was really worried about sound id install amps aswell as a real sub. But its good the way it is for now. I was looking at an alpiine ktp445u for the doors installing in the factory amp location, one of these amps i have laying around for bass and a sub in the stock <02 sub box i have. Tbh i would of loved to keep the factory if it had bluetooth and a usb for music. I just wanted Bluetooth for calls and music. As well as usb for music the backup camera is a plus

willinnashville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a system in my 05 Denali that I think you might be interested in. I bought a new double din head unit (a Dual, which I would seriously not recommend) and a scosche kit to interface with the existing Lux system for my stock speakers. I added a separate Boss monoblock amp to power an infiniti reference 8" sub I had been given for father's day. I added a backup camera and steering wheel controls. If/when the stock speakers give up, I'll look for a replacement 2 ohm set. The stock amp is fine for the stock speakers, and the sub bumps impressively enough to make my mirrors unusable at half volume. Now I have a head unit with bluetooth for my phone and music, a bumping sub that goes lower and louder than my stock sup, and backup camera.

If I were doing it again, I'd do the same for everything except the head unit. It's a serious piece of garbage that is getting replaced when I make up my mind about it's replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n