Do You Regret: Short-Body vs Long-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the space and looks of the suburban. My garage length isn't suitable for the lwb though, leaves almost no room to walk in front or behind it and I have grown tired of parking outside, as I have with my pickups for the last decade and a half. So, all that being said, I'm working on a deal for a tahoe.

I've got one child now and probably one more in the coming year. As of today, the tahoe seems adequate for a family of four on a road trip. But, once we move and have a slightly larger garage, I will likely move up to a suburban. You can never have too much space for cargo, in my opinion.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
My wife and I both have shorties. My Z71 doesn't even have the mounts for a third row and that's exactly how I like it. My wifes Nali has the third row, which she never lets me take out for fear that we may go somewhere and not have enough seating for everyone... (Has yet to happen where we've even needed the third row...) But for us it came down to fitting them in the garage. It is a tight fit as it is given it is a 2 car garage with one side tandem deep... So the muscle car goes in the back, the Nali behind it with about 6 inches to spare, and the Hoe on the other side with the cabinets / freezer, also only about six inches to spare.

My in-laws are now on their second Burb (an NBS) the first was a OBS they ran to 275,000 miles on original 350 / transmission. They LOVE having all that room, but they don't park it in the garage, and they have like 6 cars... so when it is your dedicated people hauler / workhorse, all of that room is definitely the way to go.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no regrets going with my 2006 denali xl. The room alone sold me. Before the denali, I had a 2001 durango limited, which had quite a bit of room with the third row folded awat, which was a true fold away and it was excellent. But I had out grown the space and towing capacity of my durango, so I started looking at bigger suvs. The SWB didn't offer any more rear cargo room for all of my detailing gear because of the third row still being in the way, when it's folded up, and taking it out isnt an option for me because i dont have a garage so there's no place to store my extra third row seat when its not in the truck. With my xl, it's folded up and has a ton of room for all my gear. Then there's the fact that the xl, in my opinion, drives and handles alot better on the road than the standard wheel base. Especially while towing. The SWB tends to be a bit squirrly around corners and towing. Yeah its a little harder to park and manuever, but the ride quality alone out weighs that factor, and I've adjusted to the length in maneuvering and parking. As far as garages go, I don't have one so it fitting in the garage isn't an issue for me. In the near future as im saving up to buy my first house, one of my main criteria is a large garage, big enough to fit my XL all the way in, and big enough to have storage and work space in addition. So that isn't an issue for me. When I do have a garage it'll fit either way haha. Long story short the XL is perfect for me and I have no regrets buying an XL over a SWB!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it is the SWB..It is only me and my other half.

When I go to New Jersey [2-3 times a year] and go out with my buddy's wife and 2 kids I have take all my gear out and bring everything up to my hotel room as I need the 3rd row seat..But since that does not happen often it no big deal for me.

My buddy has a Sante Fe but when I am in New Jersey he only wants to go out in my Hoe so my Hoe gets no break when I am in N.J.

I generally hear people who own a Tahoe say I should have got a Suburban..I never hear people with a Suburban say I should have got a Tahoe.

If I had to do it all over again I would still get the SWB Tahoe.

As far as looks go I like the SWB and the LWB equally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I know it's very subjective but it sounds like everyone is very happy with their decision either way. I do feel the LWB looks a little odd with the 18" base wheels but the 20's and 22's look awesome.

For my family, the SWB is definitely sufficient but it would be purchased knowing that the 3rd row is useless unless occupied by small kids. My 4Runner has a better 3rd row lol.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
I don't know that I would go so far as the 3rd row is "useless" for adults. I have on multiple occasions let friends borrow my wifes car for group outings like bachelor parties, and used it myself for a trip with the guys. I wouldn't call it the most comfortable thing, a 3rd row in a burb is definitely more comfortable, but I have had several adults ranging from 5'2" 120 to 6'3" 260 in the back for a 45 minute drive to seattle. Granted the 6'3" was a little cramped, but for most of my friend group that is 5'8" - 6'0" and 200+ they are totally fine in the third row.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. We've driven adults in the back for short trips (out to dinner etc) and its fine for that. If you want a human hauler thats comfortable for all, even for long trips, a minivan is the best choice IMO.

Though I prefer to let my passengers 'suffer' for 20 minutes 3x a year than drive a van lol...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agreed. We've driven adults in the back for short trips (out to dinner etc) and its fine for that. If you want a human hauler thats comfortable for all, even for long trips, a minivan is the best choice IMO.

Though I prefer to let my passengers 'suffer' for 20 minutes 3x a year than drive a van lol...
Totally not true. Lol. My sister has a 2010 Toyota sienna. And even short trips are awkwardly uncomfortable. Theres no head room whatsoever and I'm 6'0. I'm not that tall. Lol. And forget driving it. I hate it when I get stuck being DD and we took the mini van. It handles so awkwardly and the blind spots are terrible. The tiny ass camera screen in the center dash info screen is useless. And her mirrors don't move like mine do. Backing up anywhere is almost impossible. Haha :confused:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar