Do You Regret: Short-Body vs Long-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious: If you bought a Yukon or Tahoe, do you regret not getting the XL or Suburban? Conversely, if you bought an XL or Suburban, do you regret not getting the Yukon or Tahoe?

I'm still exploring my options. I initially thought I'd get a regular Yukon, but part of me thinks I should get the XL. We have a 4-month old and 15-year old with possibly one more to come... but by then the 15-year old will be in or near university and we even have his own wheels by then- short of family road trips, he probably won't be hanging out with us much :(. We don't "need" the extra length but I can see where it would come in handy. I also hate how crappy the 3rd row is in the short-body... like what was the point of even putting them in there? Lol. The first and second rows are amazing however. Other benefits of short-body are slightly better towing ratings and ability to fit in th garage. A long-body wouldn't leave much room lengthwise... if I can even fit that is.

Anyway- words of wisdom would be appreciated.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it was looks plain and simple. I love the look of the SWB and very much dislike the look of the LWB. Extra room would be nice...Maybe 3X a year or so.

sam123

Reaction score
I have both a LWB and SWB and while the SWB is easier to maneuver, I prefer the suburban because of the extra space. For me, it's the fact that I can load up the rear and still recline the seats as there is space to spare. In the SWB I wasn't able to do that making it less comfy on long trips.

crunchcity

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Should be based on your needs...I drive alone 99.9% of the time. If the option to delete the 3rd row was available for the SWB I would have done it.

I don't know why they bothered putting 3rd row in SWB either...just offer it in the LWB and maximize cargo capacity for the SWB.

Or at least make it an option, imo...which it kind of was when the seats were removable in the last gen.

If the 3rd row seats were removable in the current gen they would have been out on the first day I took delivery and not returned until the the vehicle was traded in (lol)...

Last edited:

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only ever wished I had the Suburban a couple of times and those were when I had the third row up and filled with people and then little to no room for cargo. However, 99% of the time the Tahoe fits our needs perfectly and don't regret the decision at all. Another reason why I didn't go Suburban was the fact that it would never have fit in our garage and there is no way I would want my truck sitting outside all the time here in AZ. Just too damn hot during the summer months.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll never own a SWB Tahoe or Yukon. The big thing for me is storage space and the extra room. You can have things in the back and still use the 3rd row. When camping or travelling long distances (which we do several times a year) I can fill the back up with luggage and still have room (and not have to have a rooftop carrier).

I've owned a '04 Yukon XL Denali for about 6 years and then traded it in for an '10 Escalade ESV last summer. We looked at the SWB versions but it just didn't make sense for us. I suppose if you don't need the extra room you could make the case that the SWB version will work for you. If so, good.

We have 4 kids so the SWB version wasn't an option for us. 2 kids and you'd probably still be fine with the SWB but over that and I bet you'll want the LWB.

The difference in towing capacity is based on the additional weight of the longer wheelbase truck. GVWR is the same between the two. The longer wheelbase will actually track better.

Just my two cents..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rex Kwon Do

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a SWB after driving a bunch of LWB. Was convinced we needed a Suburban with 3 kids 2 dogs....wife was uncomfortable driving it, was tight in the garage, and our kids are all out of strollers now.....so SWB it was. Like the look better anyways (SWB). The bigger rear seat folded down is good enough for all but major trips storage wise, dogs normally will ride in my Silverado if need be. Just depends on needs.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss my 2002 XL for the space, but I made it up by buying a Stowaway hitch carrier.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LWB and no regrets. Never considered the SWB, don't care for the looks or lack of space. IMO, the LWB handles like a car or minivan, no, better!

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short all the way for me. I just love the look better whether it's a truck or an SUV. I just sold a Suburban which was good because you could actually fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in it. But for the most part all i have ever owned as far as GM full sizes all been shorties. If you use your truck for work reasons i completely understand long beds. It just visually looks unbalanced to me. To each his own though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz