Disable AFM - Quickly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Floep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low oil pressure, try Synthetic 5w30. If you still have it happen, either do not worry about it, or if you must get rid of it, put in a new oil pump, the good new ones give more oil pressure because of higher volume out put. High mileage vehicle?

OP
OP
P

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to try some Seafoam or Kreen in the oil for the last 700 or so miles before an oil change and see if it helps. Could have a little varnish build up which could limiting flow to the lifters at lower idle speed. Mine had some lifter rattle at start up so I put 8oz of Kreen in the oil for the last 600-700 miles before change. Oil drained darker than I recall seeing in the past, replaced with with Valvoline 5-30 High Mileage and used a Wix filter and the lifter rattle improved considerably, you can still hear a little but not like it was. Mine has 228,700 miles.

Pretty inexpensive to try and there isn't any downside to speak of.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
110k miles use high mileage Castro 5-30 I'll for sure do a full seafoam soon and may upgrade to full synthetic if it doesn't go away. It's just weird that it happens lol on time all the time. More annoying than anything idt it's an issue though. And it was either something new or just never heard it before.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, don't unplug the vacuum line from the brake booster. This does affect your braking which is a safety issue. Secondly, the Range AFM Disabler is not 100% accurate. I installed one 9/15 after my third AFM lifter failure, thinking that was the end of my problems since all the original AFM lifters had been replaced and supposedly the Range would keep it from ever going into 4 cylinder mode. On 6/17 I experienced valve lifter failure on cylinder 7 WITH the Range AFM Disabler installed. And it was a lifter that had already been replaced. There have been a few times when the Range AFM Disabler failed to keep it out of 4 cylinder. Find a shop that can do performance tuning. Ask if they can do AFM Delete on the ECM. I had this done for $150. They used DiabloSport which you can buy yourself for $360 or so, if you're so inclined. I wish I had known about this solution earlier. I've had 4 lifter failures in 75,000 miles. Hope this helps someone else

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife could not deal with the AFM, so I bought her a Diablo Sport Sprint. It has worked flawless for two weeks. No issues. 2015 Tahoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076