Differential Oil Change 04 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by 04whitetahoe, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jonnytahoe

jonnytahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    Your old fluid looks like it was recently changed. The info about the fluid level is news to me and probably many others on here. I use to just fill to the hole and call it good. I have seen many clean trucks on here and they are all from southern and western states. I was more impressed with your clean garage floor, research, and pictures. I think you did a great job of showing the right way to change the fluid.

04whitetahoe likes this.
  2. 1beershortofsixer

1beershortofsixer TYF Newbie

Name:
    Bad Bob
    Thank you...Just what I needed. Have 04 Tahoe 2x2. 185 miles. Never changed rear end fluid. How come GM did not install drain plug? Is there a logical reason? Also, how often should my dad have been changing rear fluid?
    Also would you advise flushing trans? I have read yes and no. Some say if you flush high mileage trans fluid it will just begin slipping...
    Thanks. Man you did a class write up here. Will be doing for sure.

95escahoe likes this.
  3. BeenChevy

BeenChevy Full Access Member

Name:
    Ben
    Changed and replaced the trans fluid & filter at @ 200k in the Yukon no slip at 240k. Will do the same with the Tahoe at this interval.

Change the rear diff fluid at 150k+ and you should be okay. No need for the drain plug with this kind of interval. I bought $20 AutoZone covers with a plug in case i needed to add friction mod..

The 'lubelocker' gaskets are the way to go

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    95escahoe likes this.
  4. 95escahoe

95escahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Brett
    When was the trans last done? If the fluid is in good shape I'd say just drop the pan do the filter & gasket and top it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jonnytahoe

jonnytahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    I love this write up. it's more involved than one would think. Your fluid looks new, if you look close at the one pic you can see it still draining. I did my '95 and it was a much darker color.

6. brasil

brasil Member

Name:
    Juergen
    great write up ! I will change my oil too. For the rear end I bought Amsoil severe Duty 75w110 hope this oil also works . The LS fuild is also from Amsoil.

But there is one thing... my rear end has a drain plug.. Looks like a 3/ 8 or 1/2 socket. Perhaps it is because of the European Specification ??

Greetings Juergen

7. 2006Tahoe2WD

2006Tahoe2WD Member

Name:
    Henry
    Excellent write up. Good tip on the no-RTV gasket. Question/comment - in certain years the G80 code refers to the gov-lock type "limited" slip. I think the gov-lock type LS doesn't require a modifier since there are no clutches, the mechanism is all mechanical. Anyone please correct if I am wrong on this. Thanks.

8. NGAneer

NGAneer Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    It's supposed to be good without it. My G80 works a lot better now that I changed to Mobil 1 with LS additive already in the oil. Doesn't make the bunch of noise it made previously.

9. BeenChevy

BeenChevy Full Access Member

Name:
    Ben
    Went with the Amsoil severe duty in mine with ambient temps -30F through 105F pulling loads (300+ miles at a time) with larger tires on & off road - Never needed the friction mod in either vehicle. I'll let you know how the fluid held up at 300k when I change it again. No noises and activate the lockers daily 7-8 months out of the year here in MN - works great.

10. jimmys03

jimmys03 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Great write up!