Differences in drives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickyg1478

Reaction score
Hey guys i regularly use 4wd and 2hi i believe. Can someone explain to me all the other options and how to use em. cause ive tried to use em but i need to have the parking break on or something and its just confusing to me.

Thanks

WiCK3D_SiX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4lo is a torque happy gear. Coast a few feet and drop into neutral, then select 4 low and toss it back in drive. Best on rocky terrain or hill-climbing. Or if you need to pull something on loose stone or in any other off-road scenerio.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Neutral is complete driveline disconnect. That means the only the brakes are going hold that thing in place. A tranny in park with a t-case in nuetral is a runaway sleeper in waiting.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

4lo is a torque happy gear. Coast a few feet and drop into neutral, then select 4 low and toss it back in drive. Best on rocky terrain or hill-climbing. Or if you need to pull something on loose stone or in any other off-road scenerio.

Or if you just feel like mashing the brake pedal down just to keep it from rolling. in 4lo.

OP
OP
nickyg1478

nickyg1478

Reaction score
Alright awesome so would i get a little more get up and go in 4lo? how do i switch it back then? same process?

thanks

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Coast about 1-3mph with tranny in neutral and select 4hi or2hi then put tranny back in drive. Safety protocols prevents switching in and out of low gear without tranny being in neutral and vehicle speed below a certain a speed.
Sent from HTC EVO mobile

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It is not really an increase in power like adding miss it just multiplies torque for pulling power. also easier to redline your engine if not careful.

Sent from HTC EVO mobile

OP
OP
nickyg1478

nickyg1478

Reaction score
Awesome ..so why does the safety protocols stop the tranny from being in drive and switching to 4hi to 2hi

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It does not stop the tranny. It withholds the electric shift of t-case till it sees tranny in neutral and speed below a certain point. As for 2 to 4hi the t-case can handle that shifting while in drive up to 55mph I think. Get a off copy of owner book from Gm web to be sure about speed.

Sent from HTC EVO mobile

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
As for 4 lo, if it sifted while in gears it would probably shear something big time from sudden change in speed.

Sent from HTC EVO mobile