Diagnosing 6.2L top end ping/squeak (with video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Hey everyone I recently changed my oil pump in my 6.2 successfully. Ran great. 2 days later (today) I have a pinging sound coming from what I'm sure is at the top end. But can't narrow down exactly where. I took a video of it. It increases with the RPMs but it's not a very fast duration, it's on the slow side and seems slow at idle. Any suggestions as to what it is?? DONT MIND THE SQUEAKING of the drive belt. that's not the issue, but You'll hear it what I'm talking about clearly. I would love to have help on what it is, I'm lost.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My top is noisy but a different noise like a deisel with a chirp here and there.

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet. Pull the valve covers and check it out. Look for a failed rocker. The needle bearings have a tendancy to come out and since you just changed the oil pump, maybe a needle made it down to tje pan to trash it. If you can't find the problem there, pull the heads and check the lifters and cam lobes. Afm lifters are ok at pushing the pushrods up but they are great at failing.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Bite the bullet. Pull the valve covers and check it out. Look for a failed rocker. The needle bearings have a tendancy to come out and since you just changed the oil pump, maybe a needle made it down to tje pan to trash it. If you can't find the problem there, pull the heads and check the lifters and cam lobes. Afm lifters are ok at pushing the pushrods up but they are great at failing.
Are the afm lifters towards the back? Because it sounds like it's coming from the back side of the top end, on the passenger side mostly. I'm hoping nothing messes up the pump I just replaced :banghead:

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you inspect the pump to see why it failed? Also, I assume you ran without oil pressure at the time it failed. That's not good for the engine as you know. It doesn't sound like a bad bearing which is good but it doesn't take long to mess up your valve train without oil up there. If it were me, I would pull it all apart but I'm not sure if that's how you want to go about it. But if you go as far as pulling the lifters out, it's a great time to put in a new cam.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
Did you inspect the pump to see why it failed? Also, I assume you ran without oil pressure at the time it failed. That's not good for the engine as you know. It doesn't sound like a bad bearing which is good but it doesn't take long to mess up your valve train without oil up there. If it were me, I would pull it all apart but I'm not sure if that's how you want to go about it. But if you go as far as pulling the lifters out, it's a great time to put in a new cam.
The pump failed because the valve in the pump was 90% stuck shut. I had to take screwdriver and slightly pry on it to break it free again. Doing the oil pump was the biggest job for me I've done. I don't know how hard it is to do the valves and cam..any videos or instructions? I wouldn't mind doing it. Here's a picture of the pump with the stuck valve and here's the a small view of the cam

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.JPG

Brian Wilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would cut open your oil filter and change your oil. Look for metal shavings. If you don't see any, you are fine. It is cheap and easy. It could be anything. I have seen 4.8 and 5.3 break pushrods in half. I have seen bent valves, many failed afm lifters. Cam lobes wiped out. Rockers drop their bearings, and springs break. It could honestly be anything. Or even piston slap.

OP
OP
Cleandenali31

Cleandenali31

Reaction score
You have to break it open to see.
When the pump failed it got towed to the dealership and then I got it back from the dealership a week later after they fixed the EBCM. Because that's what it was going for and the oil pump went the same day I went to take it to the dealership. Anyways, I guess they ran it once or twice with no oil to the top so it had a lot of chatter when I brought it back home and had to back it in my garage.

I dumped the oil and the oil had powder like shards in it. Not a lot but enough to clearly see it. After I replaced the pump and start it, it ran great, no noise or anything..until this sound two days later(today)
here's a picture of the old oil

The new oil has ablut 150 miles on it and it looks as fresh as me pouring it out of the container, still.

IMG_0627.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz