Denali rear air suspension decison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my rear suspension is shot. If I have people in the back seat of the truck the compressor kicks on about every 2-4 minutes. With about 95k miles on it I'm guessing I have a leak in one or both of the actual rear shocks.

In a few weeks I am moving and will be pulling a trailer loaded about 950 miles and I imagine that I'll probably burn out the compressor if I don't install some new shocks.

Has anyone installed the Monroe 40034 rears? I can't find much info on them but they appear to be the OEM shock and retain the electronic dampening. This is what I'm leaning towards as of now.
Let me know what you think.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree. Bilstein is a much better product IMO. I just ordered fronts, and I will be putting those in soon. I am likely going to do the rears too. They aren't bad but I have a feeling I will be very happy with the fronts and wwill want to do the rear too. I have never been dissatisfied with Bilstein shocks.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

I can't find much info on them but they appear to be the OEM shock and retain the electronic dampening. This is what I'm leaning towards as of now.

Are you positive they retain the magnetic ride? As far as I knopw that's a Gm innovation and will be exclusive to AC Delco...could be wrong. The monroes definitely have the air levelling feature incorporated but they are likely a passive shock like the Bilsteins.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called the Monroe techline and they seem to think it retains the active dampening. They also said that it only fits NBS to 06. I was under the impression that 07+ use the same shocks though.

Thinking the Arnott Bilstein might be the way to go here. Does anyone have any experience with it? I wonder if it rides harder than stock since its a passive replacement. Probably still better than my worn stock shocks though.

OP
OP
G

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

I got under the beast with some dish soapy water and this is all I could find. Does this look like a leak??

Attachments

• IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 119

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced a leaky rear air shock with a set of Arnott OEM reman'd ones along with a new compressor. My compressor was kicking in every five mins+it was ridiculously loud..... Did the install myself-not too difficult. The ride was better and the compressor kicks in just once at startup+it is very quiet. Of course this is on an '06 but just wanted to share my experience with Arnott. Way cheaper than going to the dealer and I use my autoride because I tow a few different trailers throughout the year.........

OP
OP
G

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll probably have to replace my compressor soon since it is loud as hell. I'm staying away from the Arnott reman'd shocks since the only thing the replace is the air bladder, and do nothing to the shock itself besides repaint the outside.

I'll probably end up the the Bilstein's and the passive dampening.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
That's your leaking air culprit in that pic. The Autoride shocks are a big PITA.

quattrotman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking the Arnott Bilstein might be the way to go here. Does anyone have any experience with it? I wonder if it rides harder than stock since its a passive replacement. Probably still better than my worn stock shocks though.

I have some fronts coming but do not have experience with them...looking forward to them though. I have done a lot of research on them and read that most people find them stiffer but in a good way. If you are really concerned with the ride getting stiffer, you might not want to risk it. Its a personal preferance thing. I prefer a bit of a firmer ride than the sloshy oem mag ride but some people like that. Bilsteins are a very good quality option but are also on the firmer side as they are a performance shock. The monroes might be softer but I don't think they are of equal quality IMO.
BTW, Arnott sells them on ebay slightly cheaper than on their website. They also sell a package deal with the compressor...I think it's $499?

OP
OP
G

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went ahead and ordered the Arnott/Bilstein combo from their site. I found a coupon code for 10% off so that helped. $353.50 shipped once I get my $50 core deposit back. I figure it's the best way to go since they have a lifetime warranty.
According to their shipping map, I should have them by the end of the week. Hopefully get them installed over the weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum