Debadged - Paint issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dachrist

Reaction score
So after getting new wheels & tires last week, I decided to debadge the 'hoe. I removed the fender trim, used a hair dryer and fishing line trick and removed the side strips. Then used an eraser wheel to remove the last of the tape residue (worked awesome). After waxing, I noticed a wierd paint effect that was under the side molding, but between the tape strips. Here is a far away shot of the truck:
010.jpg

Now close up of the paint:

011.jpg

If I really go close and hold a flashlight, it looks really bad:

007.jpg

I can't feel anything when I run my finger down it. Any ideas what it could be?

dsltrc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although i'm not a paint guy but i'm thinking that it may be something behind the clear coat... i don't see what you can do...

busafreak

Reaction score
Wow.. looks like the impact strip was removed, the door probably got cleared after a fix, then the impact strip re installed. They probably didnt bother with it since they knew the strip was going back on..

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
Wow.. looks like the impact strip was removed, the door probably got cleared after a fix, then the impact strip re installed. They probably didnt bother with it since they knew the strip was going back on..

+1, they used the old tape to line up the "new" strip

btw looks good! your truck ovcourse. haha

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id take that to a paint shop and get that fixed right away! Love the look of the truck with those tires and wheels though!

OP
OP
D

dachrist

Reaction score
Here is the thing though guys...the paint looks like that in various spots behind the strips around the whole truck, I just showed an example of it. Its like that on the rear doors and the other side. And I've owned the truck since brand new (bought June of 99) so I know it hasn't been in any sort of accident. I think my next step will be to take it to a detailer, see if they can do anything. I've never seen anyone else with this issue, and I've done a ton of searching.

Devs93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seeing as black dont really blend you might be able to do a scuff and shoot method wetsand with 1500 grit and buff it. hard to tell from just a pic though

bwright81

Reaction score
i have the same problem so dont feel bad, i tried a clay bar and rubbing compound but nothing, had a detailer look at it and was told it needs paint, thankfully mine is 2 tone so i am gonna wrap the bottom with black vinyl to cover it

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 35

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a detailer and ask him to see if he thinks a good wetsand will get it down..suggest 2k grit and work your way down into light compound and then less and less abrasive polishes

Black-99-Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im in the same boat, I took my trim off as well and have the same problem, I thought something I used to get it off did it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoesb4tows

Latest posts