Dealer backed out of deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

WPBTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m confused a bit here, mostly by the dealer’s response… If you sent them a check it should be yours.

If you’re the buyer and they’re marking it as “sold” and there’s a recall on the 3rd row seats. The response from the dealer should be, “There is a recall on the 3rd row seats. We will need to perform the recall repair procedure before you can pick it up.”

IMO The reason that wasn’t their response is because they found a higher bidder.

I’d be calling your credit union and canceling payment/funds on that check ASAP!!!
They probably sold the vehicle to someone else that went through their financing company, they're making more money.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like the dealer didn't receive the check, or perhaps it got routed incorrectly in their system. Have you confirmed that they received it and signed for it?

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know that dealers make most of their money from financing right?? Its a very big part of the deal for the dealer. If you were at or below MSRP in this current market and then cut them out of the financial end of the deal, then they cut you out of the deal. Right now dealers are over MSRP most places. I had a Yukon XL on the ground and available with the 3.0. The first thing the salesman said was we are at MSRP no more, no games but ONLY if you finance with us. I said no problem!!! 25 dealers only guy who was straight up. Unfortunately it had none of my manadatory options. But this is where dealers make their money. So outside financing and cash deals don't work for the dealer. My present truck's deal included financing......which i didnt need, but agreed to. waited 4 months for them to get paid, then paid it off. You have to work with the dealer sometimes. I would have taken their finacing and went to the credit union a month later.

ColeBlooded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know that dealers make most of their money from financing right?? Its a very big part of the deal for the dealer. If you were at or below MSRP in this current market and then cut them out of the financial end of the deal, then they cut you out of the deal. Right now dealers are over MSRP most places. I had a Yukon XL on the ground and available with the 3.0. The first thing the salesman said was we are at MSRP no more, no games but ONLY if you finance with us. I said no problem!!! 25 dealers only guy who was straight up. Unfortunately it had none of my manadatory options. But this is where dealers make their money. So outside financing and cash deals don't work for the dealer. My present truck's deal included financing......which i didnt need, but agreed to. waited 4 months for them to get paid, then paid it off. You have to work with the dealer sometimes. I would have taken their finacing and went to the credit union a month later.
When i ordered my Escalade, they had me sign a document saying that I had to use their financing and that i must take delivery within 48 hours. With no markup i gladly signed.

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i ordered my Escalade, they had me sign a document saying that I had to use their financing and that i must take delivery within 48 hours. With no markup i gladly signed.
Smart move. MSRP is tough in this market. I never argue about financing. Heres my fico score, get me a good rate, blah blah blah. Get home wash the truck, order all my stuff, start shopping a better rate if one can be had. Never say cash, or outside financing if it is a hot market. Most of their money is on points from the bank and warranties.

VPVETTE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New member 1st post.

this is EXACTLY what I am going through right now. I did verify with GM that the dealer CAN NOT sell a NEW vehicle without having the safety recall fixed. Other tidbit, if the vehicle is Certified USED, that would fall under the same category as NEW.

As for my story, i went in on the 12th to buy with just a pre-approved email, dealer gave me the keys and told me come back Monday with check and sign paperwork. My bank sat on the pre-approval all weekend, and Monday i got the Approval. Went in to dealer and told them, still waiting on check, but I would just use their financing. The ran my credit and put deal folder together, checked VIN# and told me can't sell vehicle3 due to recall. Now it's sitting at the dealer waiting on the remedy from GM. He sends me screen shots of still pending remedy daily.

This affected Escalade,Yukon/Yukon XL, Tahoe and Suburban. Over 484k vehicles affected overall, but any sitting on the lots are listed as Dealer Hold Sale.

Long winded for 1st post. Sorry.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
New member 1st post.

this is EXACTLY what I am going through right now. I did verify with GM that the dealer CAN NOT sell a NEW vehicle without having the safety recall fixed. Other tidbit, if the vehicle is Certified USED, that would fall under the same category as NEW.

As for my story, i went in on the 12th to buy with just a pre-approved email, dealer gave me the keys and told me come back Monday with check and sign paperwork. My bank sat on the pre-approval all weekend, and Monday i got the Approval. Went in to dealer and told them, still waiting on check, but I would just use their financing. The ran my credit and put deal folder together, checked VIN# and told me can't sell vehicle3 due to recall. Now it's sitting at the dealer waiting on the remedy from GM. He sends me screen shots of still pending remedy daily.

This affected Escalade,Yukon/Yukon XL, Tahoe and Suburban. Over 484k vehicles affected overall, but any sitting on the lots are listed as Dealer Hold Sale.

Long winded for 1st post. Sorry.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the info.

dcyy

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help me out here. I made a deal with a dealership on a 2022 Chevy Tahoe RST. I had my own financing already in place. At first they wanted me to finance with them but when I said that wouldn't be an option they came back and excepted my pre-approval. I sent the tracking number for the check my credit union sent out over night. I got a reply from the dealership that they would be holding the vehicle and marking it as sold. Today I receive a text from the dealership saying the trakcing number wasn't working. I checked the number on fedex's website and it wasn't working. they told me to send them a correct tracking number because they have 3 people that want to buy it. I assume the credit union left out some numbers or it just wasn't in the system yet i'm not sure. I assured them the loan went through i provided them my email chain with the credit union and I even showed them screen shots of my credit union account showing the loan on my account. After all this they said they couldn't sell me the vehicle because of a recall on the 3rd row seat belts.

Sorry a little long winded to ask if a dealership can't sell a vehicle because off a recall. Seems like that would just let me know of the recall and to get it fixed as soon as possible. Anyone know if this is true or not?
Pulled this from my gmc acct. on my 22 Denali. Don't know why your dealer can't or won't sell you your Tahoe-there's a lot of affected vehicles on the road already and I get the impression that GM is not in a hurry to fix. I'm still waiting on chips for park assist after delivery in March but later 22's are shipped with them installed!
Third-Row Seatbelt Buckle Retention
Recall Description:
General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain 2021 – 2022 model year Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV vehicles, 2021 – 2022 model year Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe vehicles, and 2021 – 2022 model year GMC Yukon and Yukon XL vehicles. In certain of these vehicles, the rivet that retains the buckle to the mounting bracket in the left or right side third-row seatbelt buckle assembly may not have been properly formed during the manufacturing process.
Safety Risk Description:
If the third-row seatbelt assembly is not properly riveted, it may not properly restrain occupants in a crash, increasing the risk of injury.
Repair Description:
Dealers will inspect the rivet head formation on both the left and right side third row seatbelt buckle assemblies and replace seatbelt buckle assemblies as necessary.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

FAQs​

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts