Dealer backed out of deal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwil320

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help me out here. I made a deal with a dealership on a 2022 Chevy Tahoe RST. I had my own financing already in place. At first they wanted me to finance with them but when I said that wouldn't be an option they came back and excepted my pre-approval. I sent the tracking number for the check my credit union sent out over night. I got a reply from the dealership that they would be holding the vehicle and marking it as sold. Today I receive a text from the dealership saying the trakcing number wasn't working. I checked the number on fedex's website and it wasn't working. they told me to send them a correct tracking number because they have 3 people that want to buy it. I assume the credit union left out some numbers or it just wasn't in the system yet i'm not sure. I assured them the loan went through i provided them my email chain with the credit union and I even showed them screen shots of my credit union account showing the loan on my account. After all this they said they couldn't sell me the vehicle because of a recall on the 3rd row seat belts.

Sorry a little long winded to ask if a dealership can't sell a vehicle because off a recall. Seems like that would just let me know of the recall and to get it fixed as soon as possible. Anyone know if this is true or not?

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they likely cant sell the vehicle in question as long as the seatbelt retention rivet gets repaired for legal reasons, but i dont know why they would cancel the sale over that. You just would wait to take posession until after the recall has been fixed. At least thats what i would think should be done.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m confused a bit here, mostly by the dealer’s response… If you sent them a check it should be yours.

If you’re the buyer and they’re marking it as “sold” and there’s a recall on the 3rd row seats. The response from the dealer should be, “There is a recall on the 3rd row seats. We will need to perform the recall repair procedure before you can pick it up.”

IMO The reason that wasn’t their response is because they found a higher bidder.

I’d be calling your credit union and canceling payment/funds on that check ASAP!!!

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the dealer can't release a vehicle that is under a safety recall, as mentioned they could just tell you that it will be released as soon as they inspect the sea buckles. I would be at the dealer first thing Monday morning and make a call to the loan department at the credit union to get this corrected. Good Luck to ya,

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because you couldn’t track the tracking number doesn’t mean that the check wasn’t moving and would not be delivered. Somethings a little fishy here. Second of all, the recall is relevant, but not to the sale. There’s 1 million of us out here driving that vehicle with the same recall and they didn’t tell us to bring them in and will give you a loaner because it’s so dangerous. It’s the third row seat buckle, not a defective airbag….It’s not a show stopper for delivery. if you had a contract and they broke it just for more money, I’d be hiring a lawyer I bet that will snap them out of it..

of course there could always be some important facts here omitted that we really don’t know….

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help me out here. I made a deal with a dealership on a 2022 Chevy Tahoe RST. I had my own financing already in place. At first they wanted me to finance with them but when I said that wouldn't be an option they came back and excepted my pre-approval. I sent the tracking number for the check my credit union sent out over night. I got a reply from the dealership that they would be holding the vehicle and marking it as sold. Today I receive a text from the dealership saying the trakcing number wasn't working. I checked the number on fedex's website and it wasn't working. they told me to send them a correct tracking number because they have 3 people that want to buy it. I assume the credit union left out some numbers or it just wasn't in the system yet i'm not sure. I assured them the loan went through i provided them my email chain with the credit union and I even showed them screen shots of my credit union account showing the loan on my account. After all this they said they couldn't sell me the vehicle because of a recall on the 3rd row seat belts.

Sorry a little long winded to ask if a dealership can't sell a vehicle because off a recall. Seems like that would just let me know of the recall and to get it fixed as soon as possible. Anyone know if this is true or not?
I would if possible communicate to them that you still want to purchase the vehicle and take possession when the recall is performed.
presuming that is what you still want to do.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And have the Credit Union initiate tracking on that check. They should have the relevant numbers.

ColeBlooded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds fishy. Either they have someone willing to pay more or they changed their mind and want to sell it with manufacturer financing so they can inflate the interest rate.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
First: Welcome to the forum.

Second: Does sound fishy and the threat of getting "J. Noble Daggett" involved should get their attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts