Dash Cam recomendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in installing a dash cam, and don't know what's the best for the money. I don't want to spend a lot, but don't want to cheap out either, and easy to install/use with good images is important with an adhesive mount instead of a suction cup. Thanks

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Thinkware. It Is not cheap, but it's been great. With the wire in module it will record incidents and motion when parked. Rear cams are available also.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with the Vantrue X3 for $160. A little more money, but it has Wi-Fi which seems like a plus so I can use my phone, instead of messing with tiny buttons and screen mounted at the top of the windshield.
https://www.amazon.com/X3-Dashboard...1511535892&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=vantrue+x3
I got my Vantrue dash cam running today. Pretty impressed so far. Easy to set-up and use, good video, and the WIFI is great. Can do everything right on my iPhone, and watch what the camera is seeing too. Now I just need to figure out how to get the power adaptor connected to ignition on power, so it's not recording my garage door 20 hours a day! Both lighter plugs in the dash are always hot, so I might just buy a aux 12 lighter plug and tap into a switched wire going to the heater/radio or something? Doesn't draw much power. Was able to tuck the cable into the windshield trim, and will just tie the 12 volt adaptor under the dash to hide the wiring.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vantrue makes a hardwire harness which I will connect soon. I will use a toggle switch in an existing hole so I can easily power it off as needed. I am considering getting another one to mount on the rear window, and with the WIFI it would be easy to operate the camera without having to touch it. I need to get one for my wife's car. That will be her Christmas gift.

Chuck_Finley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big fan of the Blackvues, I had one with a power magic pro (parking mode) on my last car and I caught a neighbor backing into my fender during a snow storm. I got her to pay for my repairs because of it, paid for itself that day.

OptCodeVoid

Reaction score
I have a Garmin (Ill have to find out which one I got, its been a few years), Its not cheap but what untimely made me get it was the fact that they have and will send out one of their lawyers to defend (in court) what is on the camera if it comes down to it. I don't have a link to where I read that but it was on their web site if I remember correctly. Only two issues with it really, nothing big... 1. It can only record in 1080p, it has other options but they are not reliable; 2. When its really hot out it will freeze up from time to time when it powers off and will kill its internal battery.

Again its been at least a few if not several years and I don't remember a lot of the details on it and I'm sure they have a better one out there now but the fact that they will defend you in court is what untimely made me buy it, if I dig up anything new I will update this post but its Garmin so it shouldn't be to hard to find. Not to mention it dose take good video,

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a garmin dash cam 20 because it's small and tidy, comes with a sticky mount, and I like it because it integrates gps position and speed into the video information, it comes with a 12v adapter so I bought a 12v to 5v usb module that wires up to the vehicle power so whenever the key is on it is recording.

dashcam 20.jpg dashcam20a.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157