Dash Cam Install (wiring)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Adapted from my install of my Cadillac ATS. The wiring for the 12Vots is the same. I suspect it is the same on many of the newer GM vehicles.

I have never done a write up, so forgive me if I don't use the proper terms for various parts, etc. I also, realize I wasn't very good at taking pictures of everything. The focus of this is the wiring, and not how you mounted the dash cam. That would vary with your model.

The reason I didn't opt to use the 12 v under the dash or with the collision sensor/camera system is that I needed to mount/connect the dash cam above. So, I needed to remove the overhead/headliner console anyway, and the wires I need are just there... no reason to pop more covers, etc.

The passenger Air bag light is my target!
1_zps5d7cb807.jpg

My first challenge was to remove the overhead console. it seemed to be screwed in, but in fact it was not. There are 4 push connectors that keep it secure. The two closer to the sunroof are the hard ones. I ended up opening the sunroof and using a large flat head screw driver to help pry them out.

3_zpsdbdd419c.jpg

Close up of the problem

5_zps5e48ed81.jpg

And

4_zps59524a97.jpg

Once removed, this is my target connector. Just use a small flat head to pry up the orange connector which allows the connector to be disconnected. Removing the connector allows you to strip back the wire cover and tap into the wires easier.
2_zps758c3b5f.jpg

These are the wires we want to tap into

6Modified_zps7e7d61ad.jpg

I didn't take pictures of how I mounted the actual dash cam. It would vary on your model, but that part was the easy part.

Here are several photos of the after. Enjoy!

10_zps14e6db57.jpg

11_edited_zps1f6715aa.jpg

9_zps84da474f.jpg

8_zps6a5ad78b.jpg

7_zpsd34b818e.jpg

t-pole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the detailed write up.

Made the install quick and easy for my new dash cam.
e2845c60e7906514ba67067113a85a67.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adapted from my install of my Cadillac ATS. The wiring for the 12Vots is the same. I suspect it is the same on many of the newer GM vehicles.

I have never done a write up, so forgive me if I don't use the proper terms for various parts, etc. I also, realize I wasn't very good at taking pictures of everything. The focus of this is the wiring, and not how you mounted the dash cam. That would vary with your model.

The reason I didn't opt to use the 12 v under the dash or with the collision sensor/camera system is that I needed to mount/connect the dash cam above. So, I needed to remove the overhead/headliner console anyway, and the wires I need are just there... no reason to pop more covers, etc.

The passenger Air bag light is my target!
View attachment 161944

My first challenge was to remove the overhead console. it seemed to be screwed in, but in fact it was not. There are 4 push connectors that keep it secure. The two closer to the sunroof are the hard ones. I ended up opening the sunroof and using a large flat head screw driver to help pry them out.

View attachment 161945

Close up of the problem

View attachment 161946

And

View attachment 161947

Once removed, this is my target connector. Just use a small flat head to pry up the orange connector which allows the connector to be disconnected. Removing the connector allows you to strip back the wire cover and tap into the wires easier.
View attachment 161948

These are the wires we want to tap into

View attachment 161949

I didn't take pictures of how I mounted the actual dash cam. It would vary on your model, but that part was the easy part.

Here are several photos of the after. Enjoy!

View attachment 161950

View attachment 161951

View attachment 161952

View attachment 161953

View attachment 161954
¿What camera did you get and from where, link*?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645