Custom Rockers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zonacat

Reaction score
Looking to see if anyone knows of a company that can produce or build a custom rocker panel.

I am simply looking for something to replicate the standard rockers that were under the doors of the nbs tahoes.

I really dislike the running boards, I have the 6" oval chrome ones on order (and now think I am going to not like those as well). I really like the clean non-running board/non-step look, BUT, the bottom of the doors where they meet the body have no underside protection, just a rubber door seal gasket.

I want to design something that will extend just to the edge of the bottom of the door to keep spray from shooting under the door jamb, and maybe extend underneath to provide some deflection for the fuel lines, etc...

Want a sheet metal piece that I can roll for a rounded look under the door sill, paint to match vehicle. Have it to fit existing holes from running board removal.

I live in San Diego. Anyone have an idea, or better yet, know of a panel that already exists?

I have seen the "street scene" side skirt rocker panel, but that misses the mark just a bit for me.

Thanks in advance. I am sure I am going to get slammed here for so many questions and specifications, but I can handle it.

And no, and again, I do not like the running boards. Never have, never will.

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something for your local custom shop body shop to do... I dont know anyone in particular but I would love to see the finished product!

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running without boards for a couple years now and no issues...I wouldn't worry about spray or anything, those door seals are good at doing there job.

OP
OP
Zonacat

Zonacat

Reaction score
That is good to hear. Any experience on those door sills in snowy/icy weather? I travel to snow country a couple/few times a year.

Thanks!

I've been running without boards for a couple years now and no issues...I wouldn't worry about spray or anything, those door seals are good at doing there job.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Sounds like I have created a project for myself. Now to find a good fabricator that I can provide specs to.

Sounds like something for your local custom shop body shop to do... I dont know anyone in particular but I would love to see the finished product!

dmannx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to do the same thing - hate running boards but want a clean look. I'm in San Diego as well - if you come up with a solution post it up.

OP
OP
Zonacat

Zonacat

Reaction score
The whole idea of these is that you really won't be able to see them, they will simply extend right to the edge of the bottom of the door (bent upward a bit) to be flush with the underbody. The only extension would be under the body to provide some spray protection where the stock plastic boards used to be (covering the fuel lines, etc...)

are you big into diamond metal plating? maybe if you can get a few pieces angled and welded to some brackets.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 AM ----------

Calling around today to track down someone who can work with aluminum or 1/8" steel sheet metal to design something custom, to also fit in the oem holes. just enough to deflect from the rubber gasket on the door bottom.

I will let you know, and maybe we can get a deal on a 2 fer.

I am looking to do the same thing - hate running boards but want a clean look. I'm in San Diego as well - if you come up with a solution post it up.

OP
OP
Zonacat

Zonacat

Reaction score
Thanks. However in looking at the pix, they look like standard running boards. My idea is to have no running board at all. Just some protection for the gap where door meets body. Right now it is just the rubber gasket.

The only spray protection I am looking for is for under the body of the car, fuel line defelction, etc...

Bottom line is that I don't really want anything visible.

a shop call pacific coast customs did a set for a denali they took to sema. if you go to www.streetsorce.com and look up oem terror under build threads they show pics.