Cost of trans fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
The dealer shop's stock in trade is to make you worry. So many people cave to them. You may need a transmission replacement but IMO, you also NEED at least two opinions and maybe 3. Lots of times, the stealership transmission people are just parts changers, not always but lots of times. The independent transmission shops do a better job of diagnosing and explaining of the problems and fixes.

I will continue to say this though. "Maintenance pays and breakdowns cost". I have no idea if lack of maintenance had anything to do with the problems you are having but I know for 100% fact, continued maintenance on the many vehicle systems is your best bet to help keep these problems from happening.

Not saying this next statement happened here, but so many times, vehicle owners do "breakdown maintenance" and that leads to higher costs in the long run.
Thank you both for replying this morning. I’m sitting here wondering if I should have had the fluid changed earlier. I’m at 50,000 miles now mostly highway and it’s not my daily driver. I was thinking of having it done in November when I get the next oil change and tire rotation. But I will take your advice and not do breakdown maintenance. I’m hoping for the best right now.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
For 10k that truck had better fly under its own power, haha. Or, at the very least, the transmission should prepare a hot, fresh quality cup of coffee and have it wating for you every morning when you get in to drive to work (or whereever you may be going).

I'm interested to hear what the trans shop comes up with and does. @OR VietVet captures the gist of the rest of what I would also say in his post above.
Good Afternoon,

The shop just called me. He told me the torque converter is bad and I have the shuddering issue. He won’t do the trans flush with the wiring harness because he feels that won’t work. He gave me a price of 2850 to rebuild my transmission with a year warranty and 3495 with two year. The dealer gave me a quote of 10,000 for a three year warranty. Do I get a third opinion?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

The shop just called me. He told me the torque converter is bad and I have the shuddering issue. He won’t do the trans flush with the wiring harness because he feels that won’t work. He gave me a price of 2850 to rebuild my transmission with a year warranty and 3495 with two year. The dealer gave me a quote of 10,000 for a three year warranty. Do I get a third opinion?
That option sounds good to me, provided that he's replacing the wiring harness along with everything else that would need to be replaced during the course of an 8-speed transmission rebuild. And yes, those converters are infamous for failing (class action lawsuits are pending, I believe). The extra year covers his parts costs to go through the unit again if it fails - up to you as to whether you want the additional protection. Given he could almost rebuild your transmission three times for the cost of what the dealer is wanting for one new unit, I'd be inclined to go with the independent shop.

I would ask him what gets replaced, in addition to the usual stuff like filter, frictions, bushings, paper/rubber/seals/sealing rings, solenoids, wiring harness and converter. For example, does he replace the chain drive on the pump, swap out the pump or just replace some internals (either is fine - most of my pumps don't need replacement, just reconditioning and replacement of small internal parts). Are there any other parts that typically wear and get replaced during overhaul?

Once he tells you, assuming he divulges that information, it would be your call at that point.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
That option sounds good to me, provided that he's replacing the wiring harness along with everything else that would need to be replaced during the course of an 8-speed transmission rebuild. And yes, those converters are infamous for failing (class action lawsuits are pending, I believe). The extra year covers his parts costs to go through the unit again if it fails - up to you as to whether you want the additional protection. Given he could almost rebuild your transmission three times for the cost of what the dealer is wanting for one new unit, I'd be inclined to go with the independent shop.

I would ask him what gets replaced, in addition to the usual stuff like filter, frictions, bushings, paper/rubber/seals/sealing rings, solenoids, wiring harness and converter. For example, does he replace the chain drive on the pump, swap out the pump or just replace some internals (either is fine - most of my pumps don't need replacement, just reconditioning and replacement of small internal parts). Are there any other parts that typically wear and get replaced during overhaul?

Once he tells you, assuming he divulges that information, it would be your call at that point.
Thank you

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

He said the $10k was for a reman/rebuilt. The latest quote is the way to go.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said the $10k was for a reman/rebuilt. The latest quote is the way to go.
The dealer quoted him 10k for one reman whichh for that price, its making me coffee every morning at the very least. The indy shop quoted him $2850 with a year wararnty which should be fine as long as nothing's getting skipped over (ie solenoids / harness replaced with OEM equivalents plus all the other usual stuff)...

Will be interesting to hear what that rebuild does and doesnt include, parts wise.

Im hoping to get one of those things in within the next month or so. Until then, all my knowledge about them is based on review of manuals and the net...

thegrunter

Reaction score
I recently lemon lawed my 21 Blazer because the tranny started to shudder at 6200 miles. GM told me it was a known issue during the assembly where too much lube between parts got into the fluid and caused slippage and wear on the torque converter. I noticed the shifts were noticeable, but thought it was normal. Turns out, it was happening on day 1. I got a '23 Tahoe LS in the exchange and I'm going to take it in after 500 miles to have the tranny fluid replaced to prevent any excess lube in the tranny from causing an issue down the road. Call it preventive maintenance.

OP
OP
W

waterman

Reaction score
The dealer quoted him 10k for one reman whichh for that price, its making me coffee every morning at the very least. The indy shop quoted him $2850 with a year wararnty which should be fine as long as nothing's getting skipped over (ie solenoids / harness replaced with OEM equivalents plus all the other usual stuff)...

Will be interesting to hear what that rebuild does and doesnt include, parts wise.

Im hoping to get one of those things in within the next month or so. Until then, all my knowledge about them is based on review of manuals and the net...
Hello,

He didn’t give me a detailed list of what his rebuild includes. I mentioned to him the items you posted earlier and he said yes he takes care of that. I went to his shop to meet him and his employees and they seem very knowledgeable. I’m still kind of in shock that I have to get it rebuilt but that how it goes.

Right now I’m leaning towards having him do the rebuild.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

He didn’t give me a detailed list of what his rebuild includes. I mentioned to him the items you posted earlier and he said yes he takes care of that. I went to his shop to meet him and his employees and they seem very knowledgeable. I’m still kind of in shock that I have to get it rebuilt but that how it goes.

Right now I’m leaning towards having him do the rebuild.
Well a lot of the decision is based on how the interactions go, first impression the shop leaves so if he's saying he addresses all the main things that need to be cared for in a rebuild and you have a good overall impression, gut-feeling wise then its prob a good situation. If not, continue shopping around...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, he sounds good but I would still want a detailed list of the parts included. Also, I am assuming those prices include R&R of the transmission and does it include flushing the lines and cooler(s)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20