Corvette servo/ shift kit or both?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a freshly rebuilt vortec motor. It was bored .40 over and stroked. However im not to happy with the performance. I was told i should do some work to the transmission. So i was wondering which is better a corvette servo or a shift kit or both. Which kits or servos should i use? My dyno sheet showed my max hp at 5500 rpm..but im not feeling it..i need some help!!

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could do both, I would If i had the time to do it. The vette servo will give you faster/cheaper results and it does make a pretty decent difference. The shift kit alters the whole tranny's behavior though (in a very good way), and I've read you dont get the full benefits of it if you have torque management (which all hoes do unless you've got a BB tune or something...) But IMO, I'd do both!

also, be aware that the shift kit involves you touching/removing/replacing a lot of sensitive and vital parts in the valve body.

Last edited:

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but seriously consider a BBTune with 100% Torque Management reduction before doing anything to your tranny.

I installed a new 0mile cratemotor from a GM dealership. It too didn't feel right at the time.

The stock PCM tunes back the engine. A BBT removes those restrictions.
Do a search on here for TM. I did.

GM Does this to save wear and tear on the rest of the drivetrain especcially your tranny. But, a couple of guys on here have the 100% reduction with no ill effects on thier trannys. Hoping they chime in. Black Bear recommends only a 75% TM reduction, so that's what I got. But now I realize that I should have gotten 100% reduction.

It will make a difference..honest.

/record :)

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I literally just met with Justin (NJ tune) from BB and he can make your rig shift nice and tight...he altered my shift firmess quite a bit and said there was more if I wanted it...the factory servo can shift pretty hard, my recommendation is to go to bb.

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered my servo =) Can't wait to install it.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shift kit all the way and top it off with a BB tune. Shift kit helps remove heat build up in the tranny which is good.

While your in there do a fluid flush, filter, gasket, and add a cooler.

Sounds like your like mashing the pedal...I dont blame ya!

Be careful with how aggressive you go, you can really **** up your rear as in tearing teeth off the gears!

OP
OP
stuntmanray385

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks alot guys. im thinking i might go ahead and do the bb tune. i emailed them friday but they emailed me back and said it would be delayed. can anyone walk me through the process of how that works?

keruzam93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks alot guys. im thinking i might go ahead and do the bb tune. i emailed them friday but they emailed me back and said it would be delayed. can anyone walk me through the process of how that works?

they will send you a form to fill out asking what kind of mods you have, tire size, gears, what you mostly use the truck for. stuff like that, then there will be options for torque management if i remember correctly i did 100% because they told me that on the 96 there is barely any T.M. anyways so 100% is fine. there will also be an option for shift stiffness. stock, standard, firm, and very firm. i recommend firm because the shifts are alot tighter but not to the point were it bangs into gear. there will also be an option for preferred gas octane level. i would go with 91 because of the added performance gains. and im sure others will agree with me if they got the 91/93 tune. then you submit the form with payment (paypal or credit card i believe) and they will mail you a tuned pcm. if you mail them your stock pcm back they will give you the core charge back i think its $60. i kept mine though

Edit: Oh yea, and some of the best customer service your ever seen

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuntmanray385

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
amazingly enough i received an email from justin today. i have to run 91 octane beacause of my engine. also what is torque management? and why is it important?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not important, thats why you have Justin take it out..I took 100% OUT of mine...now when the skinny hits the floor, it G O E S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesley e

Latest posts