Coolant Missing, Running Hot, White Smoke, Burning Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a 5.3 you might have the Castech head issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I'm thinking. I took it to another mechanic that I trust to see what is wrong with it.
I can't wait to see what he finds. I think that dealers mechanic was told to downplay the problem and say it's fine when it isn't. That's probably what he was willing to pay for, a diagnosis of " there's nothing wrong with it".

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this is at a stealership I would have the mechanic put it in writing that it is perfectly normal for a vehicle to have 2 gallons of antifreeze missing AND during startup smoke like a fog machine. Then send a copy of that certified to the GM Corporate, Publish all across the internet, Try to get local news to do a story on it and dont forget a fresh copy to ASE so they know they have a mechanic out there that obviously still needs more training.

OP
OP
B

Brian Lamb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If this is at a stealership I would have the mechanic put it in writing that it is perfectly normal for a vehicle to have 2 gallons of antifreeze missing AND during startup smoke like a fog machine. Then send a copy of that certified to the GM Corporate, Publish all across the internet, Try to get local news to do a story on it and dont forget a fresh copy to ASE so they know they have a mechanic out there that obviously still needs more training.
I think there was a miscommunication. I bought the Tahoe from a used car dealer. He told me I could take it to the mechanic that he uses for all of his work. This mechanic is a little hole in the wall mechanic down a dirt road behind a camp ground. I thought it was sketchy when I dropped my truck off and then they did what they did.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there was a miscommunication. I bought the Tahoe from a used car dealer. He told me I could take it to the mechanic that he uses for all of his work. This mechanic is a little hole in the wall mechanic down a dirt road behind a camp ground. I thought it was sketchy when I dropped my truck off and then they did what they did.

That's what I thought you were talking about- an independent mechanic and a used car lot. That's why I think he paid that mechanic to say the car is fine, so he could say he helped you out when all he did was pay for a cover-up. When you said the dealer was willing to pay to have it fixed, I was skeptical. I can't wait to see what a real mechanic has to say.

OP
OP
B

Brian Lamb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's what I thought you were talking about- an independent mechanic and a used car lot. That's why I think he paid that mechanic to say the car is fine, so he could say he helped you out when all he did was pay for a cover-up. When you said the dealer was willing to pay to have it fixed, I was skeptical. I can't wait to see what a real mechanic has to say.
Exactly. I'm ready to find out what is actually wrong with the truck. And do find out if the motor is really not the original...?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop driving it and replace the heads. If you find the block or cylinders damaged when you remove the heads, then drop in a $500-$1,000 junkyard motor and be done with it.

OP
OP
B

Brian Lamb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Stop driving it and replace the heads. If you find the block or cylinders damaged when you remove the heads, then drop in a $500-$1,000 junkyard motor and be done with it.
I haven't been driving it. It's been sitting at the mechanic and the I drove it straight to another mechanic and parked it. I'm driving my second vehicle. I plan on doing a complete rebuilt on my motor..I got a quote for $2200 for everything including a cam.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been driving it. It's been sitting at the mechanic and the I drove it straight to another mechanic and parked it. I'm driving my second vehicle. I plan on doing a complete rebuilt on my motor..I got a quote for $2200 for everything including a cam.
For that kind of money you can get a GM new long block with a warranty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907