15 Smoke/Rough Idle/Oil on spark plugs/Possibly loosing coolant. opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fatmonk8

fatmonk8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your plugs are fine. Oil around the threads means nothing. If it were burning oil, the tips would have oil. Those look like a light ash color which is perfect.

You migh consider adding a catch can to the engine to help with total oil consumption.

Your coolant really doesnt show anything either.

The rough idle can be from a million things but without any codes you will never find it. Run some injector cleaner through it and a few tanks of high octane premium grand fuel and see if it runs any better.

TH
Thanks, I'll give thoes ideas a shot. Still not sure why I lost coolant though.

Enzo354

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with THarber, that all looks just fine to me. As for the rough idle, get a scan tool on and check long and short term fuel trims. Fuel trims will show you everything.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Antifreeze will evaporate and it is not out of the rhelm of possibilites that you might have some passing by a head gasket. Nothing that I would worry about and its more common than people think. As long as when youi open the oil fill cap, its not white from contamination, you're good.

Docky50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your plugs are fine. Oil around the threads means nothing. If it were burning oil, the tips would have oil. Those look like a light ash color which is perfect.

You migh consider adding a catch can to the engine to help with total oil consumption.

Your coolant really doesnt show anything either.

The rough idle can be from a million things but without any codes you will never find it. Run some injector cleaner through it and a few tanks of high octane premium grand fuel and see if it runs any better.

TH
This was happening to my 13 Tahoe and it ended up being my rear main seal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar