Coolant Leak from rear of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
check that line on the back passenger side corner of the intake the heater inlet hose that piece if it cracked or broke leaks bad enough to cause instant over heating etc

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I vote intake manifold gaskets.... notorious for leaking on the vortec motor. When replacing, get the Fel-pro part number listed in my signature.

OP
OP
W

wb22rules

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It was the intake manifold gaskets.
I finally finished putting it back together last week and drove it back out of the garage, now to fix the other issues...

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats, its not too bad of a job.
What other issues are you having?

OP
OP
W

wb22rules

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now that I look at an intake gasket again you guys are probably right. I thought the intake ports were furthest back ...

sucp_0310_12_z+chevy_small_block_performance_parts+intake_gaskets.jpg

Thought I would pop back in and give an update :)

On mine the rear of the intake manifold does not have a coolant passage, so the gasket set has material covering the hole in the block on each side. That is where the coolant was coming from. It was probably leaking on one side slow that progressed to both sides fairly well. It took a year to eventually get done, but there is a new water pump, idler,tensioner, Plug wires and thermostat on it as well.

I do have a valve ticking on number one, and a door handle repair to complete before I can get it inspected and allow the wife or kids to take off in it ;)

But I have a new toy that needs work too, a 2001 gasgas 321 trials bike, so there may be a bit of a delay again ;)

Last edited:

Gregski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
guess what I'll be doing next weekend on my '97 4x4 4 door Tahoe, not particularly looking forward to it, wonder if anyone has step by step instructions written by a human and not Haynes or Chilton

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019