Coolant Leak 1999 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty rare for a head gasket to leak coolant, I would pressure test the system and look for leaks. Intake gaskets are very common to leak and have been redesigned due to coolant leakage. I'm not a fan of any magic in a bottle especially coolant leak stop.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I came to the conclusion, that there is definitely a waterleak between the cylinder head and engine block on the passenger side. I'm not sure if there something wrong with the intake manifold gasket, didn't find anything here.
I could take a look in one of the cylinders on the passenger side with a endoscope and found no sign of water coming into the cylinder. Additionally I have made a test with one of those CO2 head gasket leak testers - also negative.

Is this a thing that the head gasket only leaks coolant outside the engine?

Bought a bottle of Bar's liquid copper now and give it a try. If that doesn't help, I guess I'll have to repalce the head gasket and that also includes repalceing the intake manifold gaskets ...
I had the same symptoms as you. (Along with misfire codes and a vacuum leak) I took a gamble and only replaced the lower intake gaskets, and cleaned everything, and luckily there was no longer coolant anywhere on the engine. This is what my coolant port looked like on my Lower intake.

IMG_4807.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Modoyadney

Reaction score
Follow the directions to a tee. I drain about a gallon out of the radiator, pour the solution in, start it and then top the radiator off with leftover antifreeze/coolant I drained out. Whatever antifreeze/coolant won’t go back in the radiator I pour into the overflow tank.
Then take it for a 15-20 minute drive to circulate.
Watch it over the next few days and top off as necessary.

Please circle back and let us know how you make out.
I have poured it in yesterday following the instructions. 24 hours later there was no new coolant on the ground.
I have cleaned everything thoroughly and keep an eye on it.

So far it seems like it has worked. :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz