Converting 6lug to 8lug IFS - Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Anyone with experience converting 6lug to 8lug while retaining the IFS?

If so, are you aware of any writeups or have a few minutes to discuss this with me?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be negative but what would be the point of this :shrug:

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Good question!!

A SFA (solid front axle) swap is about $10k for the quality of parts/work that I'm looking for. With that price tag, it's hard for me to justify that kind of money for an expedition rig that is NOT a rock crawler.

However, I would like the added piece of mind and strength of a 14bff in the rear and I personally would love an 8lug Tahoe b/c it stands out as somewhat unique. There is a 6lug 14b, but I've been told it's not as strong...but def an improvement to our 10bolt rears.

So...if its easy to convert 6 to 8 retainig the IFS, I may go that route. I know swapping the 1/2t IFS to 3/4t IFS is very difficult (after weaks of research, couldn't find one that completed it), so I'm wondering if just swapping for the lug pattern is possible.

However, I just spoke to my local 4x4 shop and I'm soooo tempted to complete the SAS.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you are upgrading the rear end which will have an 8 lug pattern and want to update front to 8 lug but not SAS?

preshus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'v ben wanting to do that also but its pricey right now for me . . . you buy its like wheel

spacers i think is what there called they convert just about any lug pattern and space

the wheel out you can get them different widths but from what i understood about it

thats what it dose . . . depending on what brand you want the price go from 50 to

couple hundred

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

im sorry not wheel spacers . . . wheel ADAPTERS lol i'v ben wanting spacers to so im still

stuck on that word

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
correct, 8 lug front IFS, not a solid axle.

Preshus - wheel spacers/adapters are heavily frowned upon b/c of their failure rate...I personally would never run with them on my rig. However, I don't have any experience with them, but I think a few guys on here could comment with actual knowledge (mine is purely academic)

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes sense then. When I first read it I thought you just wanted to switch to 8 lug just for the look.

OP
OP
S

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
nope, I also want a locker so I need a stronger rear....plus with my spare tire, I need it to be able to fit on either axle. :)

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not personally done it but the 6 lug unit bearing hubs that we have fit the 94-98 8 lug Dodge solid axles. Search for threads by Norcal4x4 on FSC and lumpdog on Pirate4x4 to confirm.

I know that's the opposite of what you want but that would mean the 8 lug Dodge hubs should work with the 1/2 ton IFS. Only issue I see is that on the Dodge axles the hubs are threaded and on ours the knuckles are threaded to hold them in.

If you're not gonna be abusing it a 6 lug 9.5" SF 14 bolt would be fine IMO, bolt right in and has several traction aids available.

Or convert the FF to 6 lug and disc brakes at the same time.
http://shop.virginia4x4.com/Bolt-on...rsion-Kit-14-bolt-6-lug-VA4X4-BR-BO-14B6L.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo