Converting 2005 Tahoe LT to Bluetooth with Streaming?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jester9456

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Tahoe LT, and I must say she's a beaut. I've been doing research on getting it blue tooth capable. Even though its pricey, so far the most attractive option is the Costar Bluestar II. The trouble with the cheaper setups is that none of them use the built in MIC. I don't want 2 mics mounted and the Bluestar accomplishes this.

Here's the rub:

1. Bluestar replaces the OnStar module. I don't use onstar, but I like the idea of being able to tap the emergency button on the rear view mirror if the need ever arose. Yes, I might have my phone, but I also might not. I like redundancy.

2. In order to stream stereo audio with the Bluestar box you still have to run a 3.5mm audio wire out of the Blustar. I've seen the method of installing an aux plug by splicing into the XM audio wires, but I don't want to do this. It just seems like there may be a more elegant method? Though this might be a whole mess easier than trying to install a more legit aux port.

Maybe there is a better recommendation out there?

My desire is to have hands free calling with stock mic and controls, Bluetooth stereo streaming, maintaining OnStar functionality, maintaining XM functionality. Not having to share my aux channel with XM, No installation of a separate mic or removal of stock hardware.

Questions:

Does the stock head unit have the ability to add a aux plug that isn't a splice job? or does it have one built in perhaps?

I have the RSE system that comes with a DVD player in back. How does that factor into things?

Is there an aftermarket head unit that will maintain stock chimes, wheel controls, and offer hands free over the stock mic?

How hard(impossible?) would it be to adapt Bluetooth modules from a newer Tahoe into my 2005?

Any advice is much appreciated. I love this truck! Looking forward to keeping her clean and pretty for years to come.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing aftermarket will retain the factory chimes and steering wheel controls. If you go aftermarket head unit you will need the modules for those. I had to do them with my clarion head unit in my 2006.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go with a quality aftermarket touchscreen double din DVD receiver with the necessary add on modules to retain factory chimes and steering wheel controls and add an XM module to it. You would replace the factory mic. Your OnStar doesn't work anymore I don't believe- have you tried it lately? I think it's outdated as far as the signal it uses. Not sure about the rear DVD but a backup camera is easily added to this. It updates the system to the latest technology. I did this in my '02 and love it. You can have iPhone or Android screen mirroring also.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty long list of demands there bud..

First off... nothing from 07+ will work in ours. Different data system.

Second the factory radio does not have an aux anywhere, I believe pac audio makes a kit to add one in where you could keep your xm... May be wrong though.

As long as you keep the factory radio, the RSE should still work. I have seen that most people who replace their radio end up losing their RSE controls on the console.

No, aftermarket radios won't be able to use the stock mic. Just remove the stock and mount the new one in its place...

Yes you can buy modules that will retain chimes, steering wheel controls, Bose.

Also I believe your on star is outdated as well. I think they do make a kit for yours though to update to a newer compatible setup.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you keep the factory radio, the RSE should still work. I have seen that most people who replace their radio end up losing their RSE controls on the console.

If you purchase the right harness, and have the right options, RSE can be retained.

mals

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a new old stock BlueFusion BFCL2K Kit on ebay for $50 when I got my 2005 Yukon. It installed in a few minutes by connecting it to the XM module behind the glove box and running the mic up next to the OnStar mic. I slid the OnStar mic forward so it is out of site and mounted the BlueFusion one where it had been mounted. Everything works as factory, but the first XM preset station is now labeled "BlueFusion" and if I select that I can stream to the vehicle. This was supposed to just be a temporary setup until I figured out what to do next, but it's worked so well, I have no plans to change it.

dak244

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nothing aftermarket will retain the factory chimes and steering wheel controls. If you go aftermarket head unit you will need the modules for those. I had to do them with my clarion head unit in my 2006.

I'm not sure this is true, is it? Per Crutchfield, you can get an aftermarket HU (i.e. Pioneer 4200) with the PAC RP5-GM11 set up to retain the use of steering wheel controls and factory chimes.

Or am I missing something on that setup?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is true, is it? Per Crutchfield, you can get an aftermarket HU (i.e. Pioneer 4200) with the PAC RP5-GM11 set up to retain the use of steering wheel controls and factory chimes.

Or am I missing something on that setup?
What @Bigbeardenali1992 was saying is just that- you need the modules like the PAC one to retain those factory items. The HU's themselves alone won't work but add-ons like the one you mentioned will allow it. I'm not sure on the exact PAC module needed for that vehicle. I needed 2 separate ones for my 2002 Denali.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Red Rocket is correct. The unit itself doesn't allow. And my 2006's stereo setup is like his. I needed a chimes module and a steering wheel control module so 2 separate setups as well. Not sure on the brands of those as it's been a while. There are many threads on here in that topic that I've seen. @dak244 , crutchfield sells the Pioneer with the Pac already bundled with it.