Considering buying a 2017 Tahoe Lt--need input from 4th gen owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Pousette-Dart

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys I just sold my 99 2dr Tahoe 4WD w/LS swap this weekend, as I need something bigger for the grandkids, and I still want the ability to tow. I'm considering getting a 2017 or 2018 Tahoe but I've never driven one. My wife hated the 99, as it floated all over the road, the steering was very soft, and the brakes were squishy. Lots of body roll in the curves. How much better are the new Tahoes in handling? I saw on one review that is still has a fair amount of body lean in curves (I get its not a sports car) but how in comparison to OBS? How are the brakes in terms of both pedal feel and actual braking? How firm does the steering feel? Thoughts on handling from those that had an OBS tahoe and a new one. Appreciate your inputs. BTW if anybody here is in the Dayton area and willing to let me take a spin in exchange for a burger at Freddies, I'd be down for that!
I have 2018 Tahoe RST with 5.3 Vortec. I wasn't interested in the 6.2 or having to run premium gas. It came with Brembo brakes ( way over priced ) and Borla exhaust. It has been solid no troubles. This was the older platform. I've heard of many problem with the newer models but this year has treated me well. 43k miles so far.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 LT 5.3 with 100k (I put 23k on it). I concur with the rest of the folks, ride and handling is very good and especially on long trips. I did have to have the trans rebuilt at around 88K, the torque converters on these trans are not good as they shed metal. Also, the trans thermostats need to be updated. I also have the AFM turned off, which I strongly suggest. If you do not, make sure you change the oil every 3,500-4,000 as the AFM lifters are very susceptible to failure if you don't.

As others have said get the service history if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660