Considering buying a 2017 Tahoe Lt--need input from 4th gen owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldhawg

Reaction score
Guys I just sold my 99 2dr Tahoe 4WD w/LS swap this weekend, as I need something bigger for the grandkids, and I still want the ability to tow. I'm considering getting a 2017 or 2018 Tahoe but I've never driven one. My wife hated the 99, as it floated all over the road, the steering was very soft, and the brakes were squishy. Lots of body roll in the curves. How much better are the new Tahoes in handling? I saw on one review that is still has a fair amount of body lean in curves (I get its not a sports car) but how in comparison to OBS? How are the brakes in terms of both pedal feel and actual braking? How firm does the steering feel? Thoughts on handling from those that had an OBS tahoe and a new one. Appreciate your inputs. BTW if anybody here is in the Dayton area and willing to let me take a spin in exchange for a burger at Freddies, I'd be down for that!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I wish you well in your search and you will get replies of help. IMO, you need to drive them and see how it feels and then see what the members here say and see if it matches with what you felt. Especially take the wife along and have her put the Tahoe/Yukon thru the paces she drives.

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Reaction score
I agree. But the one I'm looking at is several hours away, so I was trying to get a feel from others before I commit to that long drive. At the end of the day I won't know until I drive it. Maybe there is someone here local reading this that wants to take me up on my burger for a drive offer!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 2003, 2007,08,09, and a 2017. I can say that the handling and power from the 2003- 07 and newer is quite an improvement. You will still get some body roll, but they handle well. The 2017 is even more improved on overall handling. Mine has 22 inch wheels, so it has a little wider tires. Handling in corners, and on basically any road is great. It's a total road trip machine.

Just do your homework on maintenance history. Oil changes, trans services, etc.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

As stated above, the ONLY way that you and your wife are going to get the experience that you need to make a decision is to go drive one. Especially your wife trying it out. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

Set up an appointment with the dealer and go try it.

A potential alternative is to rent one from one of the car rental companies locally, if available, for a day or two.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys I just sold my 99 2dr Tahoe 4WD w/LS swap this weekend, as I need something bigger for the grandkids, and I still want the ability to tow. I'm considering getting a 2017 or 2018 Tahoe but I've never driven one.
I vote for 2018 or 2019 even if the mileage is a little higher then you planned. The newer the better.

Seems turning back mileage is is back again big time just as it was years ago. Only takes seconds to do. That was on G.M.A. this morning but heard a few people in my neck of the woods come across a few. These were one owner private vehicles not dealer vehicles. Can not trust ANYONE these days. Criminals are always a step ahead. When I see a very low mileage vehicle I always suspect something.

Make sure you get ALL service records and of coarse have it checked out by a good independent mechanic to make sure everything is good to go.

All that IMHO.

2015TahoePPV

Reaction score
don’t rule out a PPV if the braking and handling on the civilian models is too soft for you. You can always bolt a third row seat in if needed.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys I just sold my 99 2dr Tahoe 4WD w/LS swap this weekend, as I need something bigger for the grandkids, and I still want the ability to tow. I'm considering getting a 2017 or 2018 Tahoe but I've never driven one. My wife hated the 99, as it floated all over the road, the steering was very soft, and the brakes were squishy. Lots of body roll in the curves. How much better are the new Tahoes in handling? I saw on one review that is still has a fair amount of body lean in curves (I get its not a sports car) but how in comparison to OBS? How are the brakes in terms of both pedal feel and actual braking? How firm does the steering feel? Thoughts on handling from those that had an OBS tahoe and a new one. Appreciate your inputs. BTW if anybody here is in the Dayton area and willing to let me take a spin in exchange for a burger at Freddies, I'd be down for that!
I have a 2020 RST and live near Centerville. My dealer has several on the lot and order free test drives as well.

Brian71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a 97 4 door Tahoe, then an 06 Z71. Both were trouble free but the 97 had a smoother ride on long trips.
I traded the 06 for a 17 Tahoe Premier in 2021. It has all the bells and whistles. I've driven it to Florida twice and I'm heading to Arizona in January. It drives really well on long trips. One thing I hate is the adaptive cruise control. It has a mind of its own. It can't be bypassed to normal cruise control.
I do frequent oil changes because of the AFM.
All in all I'm happy with it, good luck in your search.

OP
OP
G

Goldhawg

Reaction score
I saw a friend at church that had a newer 22 Tahoe LT and drove it and it was great, but then I found out the newer ones have independent rear suspension, so I suppose it would be better. I think my wife would now just have to get comfortable with the size. Thanks for inputs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts