Confused newbie '99 Tahoe 2dr z71 lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duncan preston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi!
I know this has been covered quite a lot...but I'm very green and the more reading I'm doing the more I'm getting confused and uncertain which/what is best!!
I've got a 99 2dr Tahoe z71 and want to lift it, I've been looking at the 6" rough country kit
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-276.html
and was UI under the impression that this contained everything I need, but I've read stuff about gears and axles and all kinds of other stuff needed!
Can someone please put me on the right track as I'm just filling my head with all kinds of stuff that I probably don't need to...
Also what s the maximum/best option for wheel and tire size before I have to start trimming?
Any guidance would be great!!!

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That kit looks like it contains everything you need. I would download an instruction PDF and read up on it though....you may need extended brake lines. You will definitely need a new front driveshaft since you have a 99' with the auto transfer case. You won't need gears, but you will probably want to get lower ones at some point after driving it around for awhile with a lot larger tires. You're going to lose a lot of low end power. Upgrading the brakes may be something you'll want to do in the future too since it won't stop as good with those big tires. You won't need to upgrade to a different rearend unless you plan on actually doing some rough stuff offroad. The stock 10 bolt will be fine. As for wheel and tire option's, hopefully someone will chime in on that. You'll eventually want to do some of those extra mods later so hopefully your spouse and bank account are prepared! LOL!! Good luck

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
As previously stated, the kit will lift the truck 6", but you would be smart to lengthen the brake lines. Reading and fully understanding the instructions is ALWAYS the first step. The link itself states what is recommended/required in addition to the kit based on your vehicle.

Upgrading your brakes (increasing rotor diameter and caliper count/grip/size) when using larger diameter tires is advisable due to the increased leverage.

As far as re-gearing, you'll definitely want to do that based on the tire size you select - front and rear gears MUST be the same ratio. Recommended gear ratio will depend on the tire size you select, but if you go above 33" you'll want to re-gear so that you have suitable torque for off-the-line performance as well as off-road capability. Given that you most likely have 3.73 gears, you're most likely looking at 4.10, 4.56, and 4.88 options.

Regardless of the tire size and gear selected, you'll want to reprogram your computer to handle the transmission shift point adjustments as well as speedometer offsets.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I know this has been covered quite a lot...but I'm very green and the more reading I'm doing the more I'm getting confused and uncertain which/what is best!!
I've got a 99 2dr Tahoe z71 and want to lift it, I've been looking at the 6" rough country kit
http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-276.html
and was UI under the impression that this contained everything I need, but I've read stuff about gears and axles and all kinds of other stuff needed!
Can someone please put me on the right track as I'm just filling my head with all kinds of stuff that I probably don't need to...
Also what s the maximum/best option for wheel and tire size before I have to start trimming?
Any guidance would be great!!!

Take the advise from MIKE who has almost what your wanting to do, and it's working for him, good advise. I think 6" lift is OVERBOARD, JMHO and good luck.
David g...................:)

OP
OP
D

duncan preston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys! This really helps and puts my mind at ease as I was just filling it with loads of reviews and write ups.
I'll cost it all up again and hopefully post some pics soon!
Thanks again! Really appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645