COMPLETED Big 4 Upgrade w/ additional grounds PICTURES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BennyR72

Reaction score
So after asking a question in a previous thread (http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71819) about doing the Big 3 and replacing the fusible link and potentially adding a Battery to Frame ground - that went unanswered, I just went ahead and did it. I actually did the Big 4, and added a few things in for good measure. Here's what I did and some pictures:

I didn't end up adding anything to replace the fusible link running from the Battery (+) to Alternator, so I'm just gonna hope for the best. If anything blows up, catches fire, or fries out, I'll update.

POSITIVE
Battery (+) to Alternator (0GA)
Battery (+) to Starter (0GA)
Battery (+) to Fuse Box (4GA)
Battery (+) to Power Distro box for Amps (4GA)
(2) Accessory wires (+) for various lights n' such (8GA)

NEGATIVE
Battery (-) to Engine Block (0GA)
Battery (-) to Chassis (0GA)
Batter (-) to Frame (0GA)

NEW GROUND STRAPS:
Engine to Frame
Chassis to Frame
Added additional Ground strap from Engine to Frame

I had a bunch of alternator whine, a lot of dimming with accessories on, and some bad electrical chatter over my scanner, all of which is gone now. Also, not that it makes much of a difference being that I didn't have any real issues before, but the starter is much cleaner and quicker now.

If anyone has any questions or is thinking about doing the upgrade, I'll be glad to help if I can.

IMG_1095_zpssycfwt7o.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsrqinudx2.jpg

IMG_1099_zpsuy7hfbwu.jpg

IMG_1097_zpskarqgzr4.jpg

IMG_1098_zpskk1iklbd.jpg

OP
OP
BennyR72

BennyR72

Reaction score
There's several of them:
- [Body ground strap to Frame] Post on the passenger side of the firewall just above (or below, can't remember) where the heater hoses go through.
- [Engine to Frame ground strap] Bolted to the backside of the engine on the upper passenger side.
---(Trace both the above back to the frame and they should be connected to the same place)---

- [Battery (-) to Body] Coming off the Battery (-) just to the inside of the body on the passenger side. You can't miss that one.
- [Battery (-) to Engine] Coming off the Battery (-) it should follow the starter wire until it gets to the front passenger side of the engine and then come back up to connect to a bolt on the engine or alternator bracket.

Also, you can add ones pretty much anywhere you've got a bare metal connection that doesn't get in the way of anything else. I added another Battery (-) directly to the Frame which I connected just below the motor mount. Also added an additional Engine to Frame ground strap from the drivers side rear of the engine to the drivers side frame.

Let me know if this helps, and if you need I'll take some pictures and send them along.

Good luck.

Last edited:

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would like pictures if possible. I'm hearing a high pitch whine across my speakers, and I have a huge parasitic drain on my battery. At this point I'm thinking it's a bad ground somewhere. How much was it for the additional wires altogether?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StayStoney

Latest posts