Color matching

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Well depends, some cases I'll wet sand between base and clear for an even and smooth finish, if needed. No polish or any kind of compound should ever be used in between coats.

But I do always wet sand and polish after clear, on everything I paint. I let it cure over night. Then wet sand and polish and install the next day.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well depends, some cases I'll wet sand between base and clear for an even and smooth finish, if needed. No polish or any kind of compound should ever be used in between coats.

But I do always wet sand and polish after clear, on everything I paint. I let it cure over night. Then wet sand and polish and install the next day.
What do you use for polishing

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter. But I tend to stick with mothers brand.
Wax is where people get picky.

OP
OP
02_Tahoe

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
X2 what 02_Tahoe said.
Fake chrome is just a coating like paint but much harder - grilles, door moldings, door handles, bumper caps(yukons), mirror caps, need to be sanded all the way down to bare plastic for best results. Some use etching primer and adhesion promoter with luck.

Real chrome is actual metal - bumpers and wheels only (esky racks). Those can be sanded and use adhesion promoter too , very rare that it works. Sand blast is for best results.

camaroz1985

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or buy new parts that are bare, they aren't that expensive. Check out ebay for primed bumpers and grilles.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
^ that too. I actually traded my chrome tahoe grille to a guy for his non chrome silverado w/t grille so I can paint it. He was more than happy to trade.
But now I have a hd grille so I can't escape the chrome that easily:nono:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645